2015 Trumpet Goals?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Star8199

Star8199 New Friend

Dec 4, 2014
    Midland MI
    To make my School's Symphonic Band, to get used to my new trumpet and to get a new mouthpiece

2. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    A good mouthpiece is HUGELY important...and boy oh boy do opinions vary! I highly recommend the Monette B3F-S7. It is like a Bach 3.0 man. Yes a bit more than what you'll spend on other mouthpieces but the return on investment is well worth it. Here is a link to why I believe it a great choice: http://youtu.be/cN6hcuEN4W4.

3. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    To play all keys in every mode as effortlessly as I play the major scales themselves is a goal. But my main goal is to continue the renewed love affair I've been having with my trumpet........ :)

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Great goal, as you play them more the more "familiar" you will be with them. This book has helped me greatly in viewing music through a different paradigm, both in terms of approach and the language I use. It is by a fantastic jazz pianist Kenny Werner: Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner
    https://itun.es/us/LiM3B.l.

Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Musician Within - Kindle edition by Kenny Werner. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

5. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    I intend to save my money until I can win an ebay auction for a double C mouthpiece attachment. That'll get me by until I can afford a trumpet with the double C built-in.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    WOW! One hour of practice per day and the whole arban book in a year! Now THAT is called ambition in my book! I have been through the whole book, but even now couln't do it again in a year.

Chapeau!

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Some people might read through the Bible in a year. Others take a lifetime to try to understand it. Either approach is fine, depending on your goals.

Going through Arbans in a year may be achievable, even though mastering it in a year may not be. I think his goal is reasonable.

Mike

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Careful. The last vocalist I work with was banging at my door yelling and screaming to let her in at 3 am. I said to her... just like a vocalist, forgetting the key, and coming in late.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It reasonable if he wants to say he made it through Arbans in a year. But I side with Robin on this one... I don't care how good you are, but if you are going through Arbans in a year, you are not really learning much of anything.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have been working on the "Art of Jazz" series for two years now. I am up to study 3. I may not have achieved completing the book, but I am acing the first three phrasing techniques and I have been using these skills on gigs for the last couple of months. That has made me a better player, and that truly is the goal I ask for this year as in all the others, to strive to being a better player.