2015 Trumpet Goals?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Jan 1, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, in a Chris Botti interview, I heard that he spends a lot of time going over rudiments in his room before gigs. Then I heard him playing a really cool lick of phrases and I tried and tried to reproduce that by ear and one heck of a time achieving this. Then I got the Art of Jazz and realize Chris was playing exercise 2. Now I've got it down.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've got a couple of things in the hopper, but I'll hold off posting about one of the main things on the off chance the big one doesn't pan out.

Otherwise, I've dabbled just a bit looking into a couple of other horn options. I'm not one to buy or flip a lot of gear - typically I find something that works and I stick with it for a while. At the moment I'm working on 10 years with my current axe - my Schilke B6. It has always been a good trumpet, but a bit more slippery in slotting than I would like - I have never been an ace for accuracy on this horn, and although I'll shoulder some of the blame for that, I've read enough about the slippery slotting characteristics of the B6 to come to the conclusion that it might not be totally on me.

With that in mind, I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used S42, or possibly an S32 - the B6 is a bright enough trumpet that it isn't always ideal in certain situations, and in particular, situations where I'm playing in a brass ensemble. I don't do a lot of that, but another goal for 2015 is to do more legit playing, so there's that.

I'll post an update if everything works out on the big endeavor.

3. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    My number one trumpet goal is to play softer, Second trumpet goal is to learn all the notes, Third goal is more practice time, Fourth goal and probably most important goal is not to buy any more cornets or trumpets.

Bach CR 300 cornet 1978
    Conn Director 17 A coprion 1963
    Denis Wick 2 B cornet mouthpiece
    Denis Wick 3B cornet mouthpieces
    Frank Holton 2 cornet mouthpiece
    Kelly 3 C cornet mouthpiece

Your wrinkles either show that you're nasty, cranky, and senile, or that you're always smiling.

Carlos Santana

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with you and Rowuk, that it's a big undertaking. And I agree that it may not be the best way to go.

I think there was a recent thread about going through Arbans quickly, and then going back in more detail. Haven't you ever skimmed through a textbook before studying it in detail?

But for me, all of this is academic. My reply was just to show support for the person who set this goal. He plans to practice regularly and work on Arbans. I wanted to show my support.

Mike

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While my first copy of Arban's, being pre-owned when my instructor/high school band director and tutor gave it to me, was then already in sad shape, it became just a collection of pages when I quit playing in college and I gave it away. When I began my comeback, I soon bought a Platinum edition but did not like the piano CD as came with it. I've lost count of how many times I attempted to play Carnival ... but I'm still not satisfied with my own performance of it. Will I be satisfied with my performance of it in 2015? I don't know, but certainly I'll be practicing it many more times. Otherwise, I've decided to rid myself of many student trumpets I've acquired along with other instruments, if only to make room for better quality ... the latter as just might be why Carnival ... doesn't satisfy me ... yet.

6. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    To develop a better ear. I'm really coming to understand that, without a good mental picture of exactly WHAT sound you're aiming for, blowing into a trumpet and expecting anything beyond a random fart is unrealistic. This is the hardest instrument to get a good pitch out of that I've ever encountered. Good intonation on a viola is peanuts compared to a trumpet, I'm finding. At least there, you have the open strings to orient yourself to. (That's probably the case for brass instruments in general; except for the voice, I don't think there's anything more "low-level" and DIY in terms of note production.)

So there you have it -- get a better ear. I can't keep blowing with a generic "medium-tension" face and just expecting what comes out to automatically be a concert F.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    far out, narly dude --- for sure it's already 2015? --- whoa man, what happened to 2014??? ---- uhm, goals, uhm, not sure what to say -----------"hey dude, why is a strike in baseball, a bad thing, but in bowling it's such a good thing? ----- whoa, half the people around this far out world won't get that analogy.

the only goal is the next performance in April --- to be the best I can be at that performance (either on trumpet or trombone --- perhaps both --- I'm leaving that up to my friend who is inviting me to her singing gig.

8. Joe Piggs

Joe Piggs New Friend

Aug 17, 2012
    Bogota, Colombia
    Hi everybody,

I know doing the full book in a year is a big challenge, I've been studying this method for years, what I want is to do a full review, something like a wrap up.

I don't know if you have been there but in my case after a while of following the methid I got stuck and could not pass a certain point, it was either the legato, or the staccato. then I switched to clarke or to concone or simply to repertoire.

Best,

Jairo

Ps. Maybe some gadget could help? A long cornet perhaps? Just kidding, if I'm going all the way it will be with my lawler.

9. Ufachotchin

Ufachotchin Pianissimo User

May 19, 2014
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    I really want to get in the habit of supporting my playing with a steady air stream. I have a clean tone, but it's not very strong.

10. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I've got an Adams A5 you need to try. :)