2015 Trumpet Goals?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Jan 1, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Patrick!!! Don't do it!!! Don't cross over to the dark side!!!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm off next Monday for Martin Luther King Jr. Day - got any time then?

As a side note, do you do valve work? As of late, I've had some minor hanging issues with my 2nd valve on my B6. I don't know if I did something to it, or if it's the result of 10 years where I literally have never had my horn in to have it looked at, (and it's seen a substantial amount of time on my face and on the gig) so I've only ever done basic cleanings on it at home.

Based on outward appearances and a basic look at the specs, the Adams A5 looks to be very much like a Schilke S32. With that said, they seem to fall right around the same price point, so the Adams would have to be substantially better before I'd pick it over a Schilke. The one "advantage" Adams would have (for me anyway) is that I can get one lacquered rather than plated. As weird as it may sound, today's epoxy resin lacquers hold up better to my hands than silver plating does.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Come to think of it, tonight I came up with another trumpeting goal for 2015 - learn and record the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto.

I've never learned this tune. I know it through listening, but I've never tackled it as a piece of music. I've never had the need to. It's not a piece I learned for solo and ensemble contests, nor has it ever been a tune that I had to learn to perform for any other reason. It's about time I changed that.

The recording will likely be a music minus one kind of thing - I can do it in the controlled environment of my home studio so that the end result is not too embarrassing. I'd want to be able to put it together so that I could perform it if necessary, but it's always nice to have the ability to do multiple takes on something.

4. DJPassive

DJPassive New Friend

Jan 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    My 2015 trumpeting goal is to learn the Lee Marvin solo in "Recado Bossa Nova". It's what put the boot in my tail to go look for a horn after not playing for 20 years (since Sophomore year of H.S.)! I want to get to know my 1954-55 Martin Imperial like the back of my hand. Oh, and to be active on this site!

5. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    Lee Morgan, LOL! You'll have to watch "Paint Your Wagon" for a Lee Marvin solo! Sorry that just confused me for about 3 seconds... Anyway, it's always good to play stuff like that, and there's quite a bit already transcribed out from Lee Morgan. Try some Brownie next! Yeah, it was about a 20-year layoff for me, too! Good luck! :thumbsup:

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    It's really cool to see new members and new or renewed passions for the trumpet here! Remember, you never fail if you never quit.

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Well, a laudable ambition - however, there is a serious problem with it. Clever as the piece may be...
    :play:
    I just don't like it :thumbdown:

8. DJPassive

DJPassive New Friend

Jan 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I meant Lee Morgan! Stupid autocorrect!! Lol!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It has never been a favorite of mine either - I tend to gravitate toward Baroque and early Classical literature, although I haven't had a need to do much of that in a long time either.

I'd also like to put together a better recording of a thing I multi-tracked a couple of years ago - a Samuel Scheidt Canzon, arranged for 4 trumpets. My initial recording was ok, but I know it could be better.

10. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I wish to to thank everyone for all the responses to this thread. Throughout the year keep in mind to share your progression so we can celebrate with you. As I mentioned before make it a goal (write it down) and not just a laughable resolution. It is going to be fun to see how things go!