20th Century Techniques for Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    One of the topics for a research assignment at Uni is a detailed discussion of special techniques sometimes required to play music written in the 20th and 21st centuries for our relevant instruments.

This got me wondering where I should start looking in my research? What kinds of things do you guys think would be good to investigate?

Thanks,
    -G

2. Arainach

Arainach New Friend

Sep 25, 2006
    East Lansing, MI
    You could start with any of the jazz eccentrities out there. Lip Bends, Growling, strange mutes, etc. Not sure if the concept of a lip trill predates the 20th century or not.

3. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Doug Hill (horn professor in Madison Wi) wrote a book on this type of horn technique a number of years ago. You may want to check that out.

4. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    I agree about the Doug Hill book. Hoosierdaddy, is that Docschitzer next to Andre in your avatar? JC

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You may want to get some of the more modern scores and study them. The best advice for performance practice is found here at TM in Ed Carrolls forum. Scroll through there, it is MUCH better than google!

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks guys.

I'll try and find that book, and do some reading in Ed Carrolls forum here!

:)

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Graham, two things - firstly, find the most recent references you can, anything more than, say 10 years old is probably LESS of a mark grabber than the latest readings, and secondly - see if your lecturer has written anything on the subject (and quote that if you can) these techniques can get you quite large "attaboys" and helps you to get into the mind of your lecturer. You need to make this stuff as easy as possible for you - so that you can best concentrate on YOUR learning. You may not agree with his or her viewpoint, but at least you have the basis of 'informed' argument, and the lecturer already knows half the discussion - make it easy for him/her too. I hope this helps.

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Well from what my trumpet teach told me. That in the beginning when God created the Universe ROFL the trumpet didn't have any valves. And in the 1950s he also said that there was no valve oil and when they used to get sticky valves they would spit on the valve ROFL . Try researching on the technology or perhaps differences between today's jazz music to the 1950s jazz.

9. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH

Eh hmmm......THANK YOU! NEXT!!!!!!

Love,
    Huggy

MJ likes this.
  10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Maybe that's how they rolled in Australia.