21 days, and no mistakes!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Yesterday afternoon i was cruising at an eco friendly 55mph (fifth gear of course) in my sexy, definition of British car manufacturing excellence; a Brown and cream Austin Allegro, when i heard something rather interesting on the radio. Steve Wright's factoids stated that a top psychologist reports that it takes 21 days of frequent repetition to turn an action into a habit.

This made me thinkROFL. Maybe we shouldn't be using our practise room for making "the mistakes." Maybe we should always strive to produce that beautiful sound from the beginning, rather than attempting to bash through a piece at a difficult, set tempo.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

I thought that was how you were supposed to pratice anyway?? :-P

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Bashing at a set tempo is not good. Unless, the tempo is slow and steady.

4. casterja

casterja New Friend

Jun 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Bach Strad model called "Artist LTD"

Anyone ever hear or know of a Bach Stradavarius Model called "Artist LTD"? If so, can you tell me something about it?

Thanks in advance,

Casterja:play:

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Re: Bach Strad model called "Artist LTD"

I think your lost haha

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Re: Bach Strad model called "Artist LTD"

Hijack alert !

Back to the original topic !

As a child, me and my siblings took piano lessons. My baby sister, clearly had a talent for the ivory's. Unfortunately, while at practice, she would charge through a piece and make tons of simple errors.
    It really drove me nuts ! Later, when we all switched to wind intruments, her bad practice habits endured. This time, she lacked the natural talent she possessed on the piano. The result was she never developed into a decent player. I think there is a moral in there somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is 21 days to develop a NEW habit. If you are trying to fix a previous bad one, at least 10 TIMES THAT!

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Geez....I'll be dead before I get my mess fixed:roll:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    cc,
    you don't need a new habit to play better. You just need to concentrate harder. Once the habit is "fixed" it only lasts as long as you keep working. Lay off for a month or 2 and you are back to square one. THAT is why I think every player needs a decent teacher to get started. You won't need to fix a good habit!