$#@%^#$^&

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Bear, May 16, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Just got done practicing.... I suck, just thought you might want to know... bored.... Sometimes I wonder why I picked this route, why did I have to fall in love with music?... Then I throw on some jazz and man, that's why... awesome, relaxin'.

Chillin', out. Peace.

2. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Bear,

Just remember that whenever you feel that you suck, that there is always someone worse than you...like me.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Bear- When you feel you "suck", you are actually getting better. This is because you are trying to do things you can't; a sign that you are turning the page to the harder stuff. Next session, try to do something you were working on several weeks ago and I think you'll notice it's a bit easier.

Failure is a sign that we are progressing on to newer higher levels; it shows us where we are in relation to past performance. How many times did Babe Ruth strike out? Is he a failure because of that? I wonder how many times Bud or Manny got "put in the barrel" as Bud puts it by conductors...or how many times either felt his performance was less than satisfactory FOR HIM.

Check this out, from "The Tao of Trumpet" by my former college teacher:
    Failure is an integral part of the learning process.   In order to learn, you must see what's failing, and clearly take it into account.   Most of us, when still young, were taught to fear failure, especially public failure, and to avoid it at all costs.   Fear of failure produces a vicious circle, and results in the occurrence of what was most feared.   It works this way: Fear produces tension.   Tension constricts the blood flow, slows the reflexes, produces shallow breathing, results in general contraction of opposing muscle groups, and can even affect eyesight.   You need to make peace with failure. It is not your enemy.   You have to use it, to appreciate failure. Try failing on purpose. Laugh at failure.  

If babies carried around the same tendency toward self-criticism that adults do, they would never learn to walk.   Can you see a baby learning to walk, falling and stomping the floor, “Damn!   Screwed up again!†  Babies are free of self-criticism.   They treat failure the same as success; they just keep practicing.   There are only three causes of error in the world:

1. Negative or unconscious habit patterns
    2. Lack of information or experience
    3. The fact that no one is perfect all the time

Give it some thought; it makes alot of sense to me.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Old ski instructor's mantra: "If you aren't falling down, you aren't trying hard enough".

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bear, read this article:

http://homepage.mac.com/bach1c/trumpetstudio/tao.htm

While you may have had a bad day, you are probably also becoming much more aware of what is actually coming out of your horn. That awareness is an important step in improving as a musician.

The article explains a lot of concepts that I had sort of floating around my brain, but couldn't exactly put into words. It is going to be printed and hung up on my practice room wall.

Just keep after it dude! You are probably a lot better than you give yourself credit for.

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    lol, thxs guys, but no, I really do suck.

TrickG, that was an interesting read man, thxs.

Toots... I'm in TX man, the only skiing we do is on water! lol

Tpter1 & Mr. Semman - I know guys, it's just fustrating.

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Good points all

Bear,

There is nothing we can say that will make you feel better... ;-) all we can do is hope and pray you don't decide to quit playing based on your latest experience :-o

The point that all the previous posters made is so true Bear...

When I started playing again last August (after 10+ years of NOT playing)... I could only bear (no pun intended) about 10 miutes of hearing myself practice... I'd go back out to watch tv and my wife would ask, "that's it?" and I'd respond, "that's all the bad playing I can stand for one day"...
    Obviously, it was a matter of getting strenght etc...

Anyway, I started playing in a community band and sat next to a retired career military musician... after about 30 minutes I could tell my tuning was like... a foreign language... backwards... So, I apologized....

and he made this statement to me that made me feel so much better.... he said, "by you apologizing, it tells me you noticed... and that's half the BATTLE... some of these other guys aren't ready for a fight... much less a war"....

okay, so it was a little on the militant side... but he made a good point... "at least I noticed I was out of tune"

You noticed your playing was lacking... and that is a good thing.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It still applies! :D

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Maybe...

Hey Bear...

Maybe it's those K9's and dark glasses??? :lol:

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I like my canine's... and I have to have the sunglasses, my eyes are light sensitive. I do notice my downfallings. I just wish I had the opportunity to play with people better than me more. One learns sooo much by playing just simple duets with someone better then them. Now, no sir, I'm no tootin' my own horn at all. I'm not that good. I'm just sayin' the folxs whom are better than me are always busy or have some excuse not to play with us underlings, lol.