2fer lips and tongue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    1) I have an issue where my lips literally stop vibrating, sometimes right in the middle of a simple scale passage. I make sure they're moist, I make sure my horn is oiled up so no valve funkiness, no excessive mouthpiece pressure and good breath support (like it happens even right after I start playing). I realize this might be a "teacher must see" situation, but I thought I'd ask. It's just very odd and it really hinders upping the tempo on various exercises. Any ideas?

2) Is it ok to anchor my tongue between my lower teeth and lower lip when tonguing, and making the tu motion with the middle of my tongue against the roof of my mouth (that ridgey part)? No matter how hard I try to say the syllables tu - tu with tongue between upper lip and teeth I can't do it. It's like my tongue's too big. Thoughts?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have some thoughts, and some solutions.

1. USE MORE AIR!!!! The lips vibrate from your air, if you dont use enough they will not vibrate.

2. No, it will be more sloppy with the middle of your tongue. Try "Dit, Tuck, Da." Those will help.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The syllable "tu" comes from Arban and other early French teachers and refers to the "u" sound as it exists in the French language. That particular sound is absent altogether from the English language and the shape to say the sound corresponding to that letter in English is different. That can be an obstacle for some. Your problem is certainly something that would require assessment by a qualifed teacher.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What does your warmup routine consist of?
    What is your playing routine?
    Are their any nights where you play in a loud band or demanding group... maybe a jazz band and play alot in the upper register?
    Have you ever noticed if there is a pattern to when this happens... any particular day of the week.
    Finally, have you had any dental work done recently, something like a crown or bridge?

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Cody - I'm pretty sure I'm using enough air because the notes before and after come out fine. It's like for whatever reason the sound just stops then picks up again. As for the tonguing, I'll give those a try.

Coolerdave - Warmup is pretty standard, some lip slurs, chromatics, etc. nothing to stress my embouchure too much. Not good enough for band work yet, but this issue is something that makes me much less confident. I always try to check my progress by playing some jazz tunes, easy etudes, and there it goes...the lip will just stop. I can't determine any kind of pattern, like on certain notes only.

One thing that I do wonder is maybe it has something to do with my fingering, like I'm not pressing the buttons down hard enough or fast enough. I *think* I am, but maybe the sound wave or whatever just stops because the valve is only halfway to where it's supposed to be??

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I said air, because I was like that. I would not use enough air and the notes would do exactly what you said. If you are sure, check your water keys and other parts to see if you have a leak. That may be the cause, you may not have to look farther then the water keys.
    Good luck!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Arban referred to “tü” which can be notated as “tue,” (in German, anyway) and the “ü” sound is like the “u” sound in “beautiful” or like "Tuesday."

Aside from that, "anchoring" your tongue the way you describe might be the culprit. Hold (anchor) the tip of your tongue between your fingers and say "my Father works in a shipyard."

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    From what you wrote it sounds like you are putting you tonguw between your lower lip and lower teeth. Is that right? because if that is the case it would be a big problem to playing. As far as your lip stopping vibrating, I would have to see and hear you play to make more than a guess at the problem. If you have a webcam I would be glad to take a look. The first one's free.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    OK VB, Tuesday certainly is the thing that comes closer. However, in my experiences trying to have native English speakers say only the vowel and sustain a nice "u" sound, it was obvious to me that the sound was foreign to them. Some get it right away (women, especially younger ones seem to have more facility). For others it was much more difficult, as they always seemed to gravitate back to the "ou" or "oo" sounds.