2nd Anniversary of Maynard's passing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MFfan, Aug 23, 2008.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Just remembered it is the 2nd anniversary of the " Boss'" passing. One of my early and late trumpet heroes who is a continued inspiration every time I play some of his recordings. Everyone give a thought and a high note to the "Boss":-)

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Amen, one of my hereos too. Great guy, great teacher, great player.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Me too. Maynard was one of THE guys who inspired me as a ninth grader to get serious about the horn and playing jazz. I still remember walking into the band room where the band director was playing the newly released MF HORN2 on the stereo. The tune was 'Give it One' and I remember my first thought was "what instrument is that?" and my second thought was "Jesus, I didn't know you could DO that with a trumpet!"

I rushed out and bought a copy of the album and listened to it EVERY DAY for two years.

Wow....hard to believe he's gone.

bigtiny

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

When I saw the article I definitely didn't believe it,
    it took me about a week to realize that he was actually dead
    RIP Maynard

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Still a hole in my trumpet heart with Maynard gone...

But some good news: UNT College of Music acquires Maynard Ferguson Music Library

DENTON (UNT), Texas -- A consortium of donors has purchased the estate of jazz legend Maynard Ferguson and will bring it to North Texas. The Ferguson music library will reside at the University of North Texas College of Music and the memorabilia, acquired by the Collins-Binkley Foundation, will be housed in a Denton-based museum run by the Foundation. The intent of the consortium is to ensure that the students of the nation's first jazz program will benefit from the compositions and arrangements, as well as the historic preservation and display of the jazz memorabilia.

The Maynard Ferguson Music Library covers Ferguson's career from the mid-1950s until his death in 2006 and features works by influential composers and arrangers in modern jazz history, including Mike Abene, Slide Hampton, Bill Holman, Willie Maiden, Marty Paich and Don Sebesky.

The collection is expected to be delivered to UNT in August.

"The Maynard Ferguson library represents the written music of one of the most amazing and long-lived careers in jazz history," said Steve Wiest, an associate professor of music at UNT and interim director of the UNT One O'Clock Lab Band.

"One of the most exciting aspects of this acquisition is that the One O'Clock and other ensembles will have the opportunity to perform the music and to keep Ferguson's legacy alive," said Wiest, a former UNT One O'Clock Lab Band member who was a featured trombonist and arranger for Ferguson's band from 1981 to 1986. "As a member of Maynard's musical family, it is doubly sweet for me to see this collection find a home here at UNT. Over the years Maynard hired many UNT musicians in his bands, and I know that he would be thrilled to see his music placed here and brought to life by our talented students on a regular basis."

The library will complement the UNT jazz program's collection, which also includes the Stan Kenton Library. Kenton, a famed jazz orchestra leader, gave UNT a collection of arrangements in 1962 and bequeathed the remainder of his collection to UNT in 1979.

"With the Stan Kenton Library already in place here at UNT, it was a natural choice to include Maynard's book as well," Wiest said. "Stan's band was where the music world first really got to hear Maynard, and I know he considered Stan to be a mentor."

The Maynard Ferguson Music Library consists of 400 pieces, including works from the critically acclaimed all-star group The Birdland Dream Band, which performed at New York's Birdland jazz club; material from "The English Band;" Grammy-nominated music from Conquistador, which included the hit "Gonna Fly Now" from the Rocky movie; recordings of the 1970s; "small big band" work in the 1980s and 90s; the fusion group of the late 1980's High Voltage, material from the band Big Bop Nouveau; and works from his final Grammy-nominated CD of 2006, "The One and Only."

"I'm excited about having this music here and grateful for the gifts that made it possible," said Dr. John Murphy, interim chair of jazz studies at UNT. "It will give all of us a chance to get to know these great charts better."

Kim Ferguson Exon, Maynard Ferguson's daughter, said UNT "was one of Maynard's favorite schools, always delivering some of the best musicians."

"The Ferguson family is thrilled to see Maynard's library being launched for a second career where others will have the opportunity to study, experience and perform the charts that were the identity of Maynard Ferguson, and continue the legacy of a man who brought tremendous joy to the world with his infectious power and passion for life," she said.

James Scott, Dean of the College of Music adds, "Our jazz program is world-renowned for its highly professional performance standards and for its cutting-edge new music. With the Kenton collection and now the Ferguson collection receiving the attention of our ensembles and researchers, we look forward to being just as well known for our work in the preservation of artistic traditions such as those of Kenton and Ferguson. Having the original music here gives us the chance to maintain a special identity with these legends of the jazz world."

About UNT's jazz studies program

UNT offered the nation's first bachelor's degree program in jazz studies in 1947, and the university's graduate jazz studies program is consistently rated among the nation's best. The Grammy-nominated UNT One O'Clock Lab Band is the premiere ensemble of UNT's jazz studies program in the College of Music. The band has performed and toured throughout the world, including Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, Thailand and The Netherlands.

Steve Wiest can be reached on his cell at (940) 391-8170.

UNT News Service Phone Number: (940) 565-2108
    Email: [email protected]

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow, and wonderful! Way to go UNT!

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That's great, Kenton and Maynard's library's in one place! Anyone know what happened to the other estate items, horns etc? or are they included in this memorablia?

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    RIP, Maynard

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that Maynard is resting at all. That much talent is surely being put to use in Gabriel's own!

10. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    UNT got it all - the family had it all up for sale with the stipulation that it all go together - not broken up :

The Maynard Ferguson Collection.

Here's what was reported in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram:
    DENTON — Jazz legend Maynard Ferguson’s entire music library will be located at the University of North Texas, and his extensive collection of memorabilia, horns, wardrobe and awards will likely be housed at a museum in Denton, the university has announced.

An anonymous donor and a foundation bought Ferguson’s estate for $600,000, UNT music professor Steve Wiest said.

The Maynard Ferguson Music Library will cover Ferguson’s career from the mid-1950s until his death, in 2006. The school was chosen because of its long history and excellence in jazz music, said James Scott, dean of UNT’s college of music. The collection will be available at the university’s music library on the fourth floor of the main Willis Library.

The collection will join that of famed band leader Stan Kenton.

-----------