2nd Anniversary of Playing Trumpet: What was your progress like after 2 years?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alexbegins24, Dec 9, 2009.

1. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

Now, to begin with I know there is not one learning curve with regard to anything including trumpet but I would like to know where people were after 2 years of playing trumpet. I have been practicing like crazy for 2 years on top of taking private lessons when I can afford them (and they do help immensely). I can play in Arban's, and the 2nd Getchell book and I am starting work on the Haydn and Hummel trumpet concerto's although they are written a whole fourth below what they are normally. My range is still not up to a comfortable high c but I am being patient. I would just like to gauge where I am in relation to other learners and experienced players. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alex
    Missoula, MT. -5 F. lol

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    That sounds pretty darn good for only your second year. As I recall, when I was in 8th grade, I could pull consistent Gs on top of the staff, but nothing higher. Endurance was a problem. So was sound. Intonation pretty much didn't exist for me yet. I had no trumpet lessons.

From what I hear, it sounds like you're really on the right track. But if you honestly want my input, don't overemphasize keeping up with the best players if it hurts your outlook. Just keep rolling along.

-Jon, from Winnipeg, Canada. -6 F. I feel your pain.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Sounds similar to me. I'm just about at my 2 year anniversary. I have a high c 60-70% of the time I want it (higher occasionally), and now play in a funk band as well as playing first trumpet in a community orchestra. My teacher doesn't have me working from Arbans, but we use certain exercises from it.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    After two years (7th grade), I was not very good. It doesn't matter though...just keep practicing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After 2 years I quit playing for the summer because I didn't like the teacher. A new teacher came in the fall and lit a fire that still burns today.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I will be 2 years back playing in Feb 2010, after 30 years off. You sound like you're doing OK. If this is your first time playing, 2 years effort is good. Stick with the bands and enjoy your music.

My range came back quickly High G (3 octave warm-up), with a reliable High E for playing. Range is not a real issue (and not a real measure of success), but there are a lot of technical issues I am still ironing out. I have a good teacher, music reading is still an issue but getting better. Playing with 3 bands (community Concert 2nd Trumpet, and Big Band 3rd/4th Trumpet). The bands have really pushed me along.

Like you I want to be proficient with Hummel and Haydn this coming year (Eb and C Trumpet) . My tongueing and intonation are poor. Arbans is not used as much as I should, but has all the exercises to help me fix my problems.

Cheers

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It was so long ago (53 years) when I hit my second anniversary in the 7th grade that I don't remember anything about how good I was although I played in all the bands and orchestra through high school and into college. Then I played occasionally until 35 years ago and did not start again until 6 months ago. So, I am basically starting over. I can hit high C when fresh. I can (sort of) play Arbans Characteristic study #1. I play 3rd trumpet in a symphonic band and can barely keep up. So, I'd say you are making good progress. Keep it up and don't lay off like many of us did. I wish that I'd kept on playing.

Good luck. We need more good trumpet players.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I hate to be a party pooper, but shouldn't your teacher be the best one to guage how you are doing rather than a bunch of strangers, such as us, who don't know you? I'm sure their intentions are honourable,but we can't be fair judges without hearing you play a few pieces.:dontknow:

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I think he's not asking us to tell him how good he is after 2 years, but rather is simply trying to compare the pieces he's able to play to what others have done. I see no harm in it.

I was horrible after 2 years. And just as bad after 3 years. It wasn't until the end of my junior year in high school, after I'd been playing for 5 years, that I got the fire lit about my trumpet playing and, like Rowuk, it still burns today (46 years after I started playing.) Actually it was my switching to euphonium and learning to play bass clef which actually got me started being proud of my musical ability and gave me a responsibility in the band which I took very seriously.

I still have a feeling of great respect and deep reverence for my first band teacher, Walter Marcuse (he did the entire band program in my town, elementary through high school), for having seen something in me which I had no clue was there. And when I sit in music lessons teaching students for whom the spark hasn't caught yet, I silently say "this lesson's for you, Mr. Marcuse" and sure enough over the years of my private teaching, many of those students have eventually had the spark ignite and gone on to be in All-State bands and major in music education in college.

But what matters in all this is not where anybody is after two years, but rather where are they going, what will they be working on next, what next big hurdle in trumpet playing will they overcome. How much personal satisfaction they derive from their trumpet playing is also very important. If a person feels good about their music then they are successful no matter where they are in relation to anybody else's progress.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    In 6th grade (after 2 years) I could had a decent tone and could fill up the horn, so I was asked to play tuba in the middle school orchestra. I was a treble cleff guy, so the transposition was a little challenging, but I could be heard.

I was lazy as a youth, so from a range perspective I never tried to play higher than parts were written, so I probably didn't play a high C before high school.