2nd Annual OldLou Day coming up! 1-16-2016

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    In honor of our dear friend OldLou, I always like to take a moment on the day that he left us and remember him by playing one of my York horns. I encourage all of you to do the same... if you don't have a York horn, grab a Reynolds, or a Bohm and Meinl, or Marin, or King, or a Conn, a Getzen, an Olds,..... yea, he was just like most of us. Hopelessly addicting to buying and trying anything with 3 valves, a bell, and a mouthpiece! :D

I miss his wit and his wisdom and I don't want to forget him. ;-) We lost quite a historical trumpet resource when he left us.

Feel free to join in (in your own way) on Saturday January 16th - this year and every year!

Dupac likes this.
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Great Idea,

These are the words of OLDLOU, and a fitting tribute, would be to play a rendition of Taps in his honour.

As a Christian first, a military veteran,second, and, finally, a musician, I have planned the funeral for my soon to come demise. In first place, it will be a joyful celebration, including gospel dixiland music and the hymn, To God Be The Glory. This is intended to be a celebration, Old Lou just left for Heaven. To end with the sounding of Taps is to my mind only proper and fitting. If we research the history of Taps, it becomes very plain that it is a tune to put the troops to sleep. It has been often also called Gen. Butterfields lulaby.

OLDLOU>>

RIP Lou
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15v9iworAU

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I will be using the Sterling trumpet he sold me - it will be a fitting tribute.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Perhaps I should be happy that OLDLOU is in heaven. I am, however, sad that he is no longer with us. His knowledge is sorely missed on this forum. There are members here whose posts I rarely open due to past experiences. There are also a few that I ALWAYS open. I always read anything he posted.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I remember when I first came to TrumpetMaster. I posted my daily routine of long tones, lipslurs and easy tunes like from a hymnbook. He responded by PM asking if I meant a hymnbook or The Hymnbook. We were at the same wavelength from the beginning.

Yes, a loss for us, but a gain for him now with the hottest trumpet cats in history: Reiche, Snow, Vejvanovsky, Arban, Clarke, Herseth, Maynard, Miles, Harry and countless others.

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    A wealth of knowledge left us.

He is playing his horn(s) in a better place.

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    :-( Old Lou was a big fan of the CONN 2B as well. Count me in.

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    A story of the oldLou Fanfare:
    A man in glasses pulls out his old dust collecting case from the attic. He blows the dust away.
    'Click!' opens the latches.

"ahh, good as new." said the man
    Its a shiny York cornet outfit, his wrinkled hands lurch over the Bb leadpipe and the Besson cornet mouthpiece.
    Then suddenly moves to the calendar with his red pen and ticks of the bucket list.
    Annual OldLou Day Celebration!
    Slowly he makes his way towards the shiny York. He plays a charming fanfare.
    After that, the man moves to his armchair and slowly closes his eyes.

Loud snoring continues

Written by BBM,

9. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Very nice BBM... very nice indeed

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thank you :D Osren