2nd QUESTION for MR. LAUREANO

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by orchtrpt, Sep 30, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    :)

Ok round two..... Manny can you tell us who played the first spot before you in your band? Was it Charles Schlueter. I could be way off but I thought he played there before Boston.... But then I know he has been in Boston for a long long time. Anyway I'd be curious to know who came before you.. Why the spot opened up... What was that audition like.

Thanks!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I was born in a log cabin in Illinois...

Whoops, wrong history.

In 1981 I was playing in Seattle when the Boston symphony announced the first trumpet vacancy. Rolf Smedvig wanted to do much more with Empire so he said goodbye to Boston and devoted his energies to the quintet.

Charlie was playing in Minnesota at the same time.

I played a tape round in Boston alog with about 90 others, got asked to play semi finals and showed in Boston a few weeks later. They heard 10 of us and I got passed on to a final five which included among others, Tim Morrison, Ramon Parcells and myself.

It got down to me but I didn't do a good enough job convincing Ozawa and the committee so they asked me to play another final round with 4 other players that were to be invited. Among them was Charlie Schlueter. Charlie got the job and they held auditions in Minnesota. No one was chosen.

They heard about this kid in Seattle who had done well in Boston and I was invited along with John Raschella, Wilmer Wise, Larry Weeks, and John Aley to play three rounds in Minneapolis.

The 1st round was with the brass section only. The next day the 2nd was with the orchestra playing excerpts, and the 3rd (the same day) was a solo audition.

After the solo round I was informed I had won. John R., John A, and Wilmer have been my friends ever since so I won more than a job that day.

Larry Weeks died a tragic death in an air accident years later, I'm sorry to say. I'm sure many of you knew that.

That's the story, anyways. After 23 plus years it's still a great job and thank God for my good fortune everyday.

ML

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I demand a recount :lol:
    Wilmer

4. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    It is awesome to have you here Manny! Thanks for the info and I can't wait to learn more from you. You too Wilmer :D Great to have you!

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    orchtpt - have you seen Derek Reaban's project over on TH? If you're interested in this sort of stuff (who was playing with which orchestra when etc.) it's definitely worth a look.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That audition was,in my humble opinion, the best run audition I have ever been a part of.

We played with the section, then the full ensemble, and finally alone on stage. They, The Minnesota Orchestra, really knew how to run an audition. It's a pity the CSO can't seem to do the same.

Oh.........and there was no behind the screen junk, it was a fair audition.
    I remember it as a chop-buster, but I can't remember what we played...............C.R.S. :oops:

Manny has become my symphony role model.

Wilmer

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Wilmer - I've got a question for you! What has been your most enjoyable musical experience?

Glad to see you posting here,

Jack.