2nd valve slide buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mush-mouth, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    I've searched the forums but couldn't find this one: I'm having a little vibration in the 2nd valve slide, mostly when playing first-line E, but sometimes with other notes that use the 2nd valve. The slide itself is loose and will buzz (somewhat loudly).

I remember "fixing" this before with a liberal application of petroleum jelly, but I was wondering if there is a more permanent (and cheap) fix. Perhaps some sort of tiny shim?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The best 'permanent' fix is to take it to a shop where they will expand the slide pipes to fit better. Otherwise, some sort of shim will probably work OK. It certainly can't hurt.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The Repair Shop Techniciancan fix it as per ComebackKid...just expand the tube slightly, and do not try it yourself.

Has the petroleum jelly (Vaseline) stopped working? That's all I would do until I had to get it to the repair shop.

Cheers

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes a thicker grease will be a workaround, if some valve oil thins that grease out, the sludge will wander into the valves.......

I got some military grade silicone grease many years ago, put it on the slides, it was AWESOME. I had a gig 2 days later and used a whole bottle of Al Cass that night. It wasn't awesome any more. The moral of the story is to solve the problem and not try to reinvent the wheel. Get the slide properly expanded. If the second valve slide is "loose" your horn probably has other issues too.