#3 Is Very Important!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not a bad one in the lot.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I especially like the long tones exercise at the top.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I Very Important is valid for you, too.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My immediate thought as well. I was thinking, "You be important."

I like the way he worded #20. Cute.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I agree,Trick G:lol:;-):oops:

6. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I disagree with #9 because no instrument is dumb and I disagree with #3 mainly in regards to forums mainly the other trumpet forum as the best advice should come from face-to-face lessons depending on how a teacher communicates them.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Number 3 couldn't be more true. Some of the worst advice I've ever seen given is on trumpet websites. How does someone who doesn't really know the answer wade through the wrong answer from the right answer?
    Number 9 is right on. The trumpet is stupid. It does absolutely nothing to help you. Ask it a question, it doesn't answer you. Ask it to play a high C for you and it won't. Ask it to play a B natural in the staff and you put down the first valve and it doesn't play the right note. Even if you do push down the right valve, you might not even get a B natural. Maybe a D#, maybe a clam.
    See? It is dumb. You have to tell it everything and sometimes it still doesn't get it right.
    Number 11 is rather interesting. How do you learn something without looking at it?
    Here is an example of folks who have played this piece many times and they are still looking at the music! What is wrong with these guys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-c1LLZaVCA&list=PL4E3C878D01A31D50
    By the way, this should be a year or so after Herseth's quadruple bypass and he is either 75 or 76 at the time of this concert. Still easily capable of sitting on top that incredible section at that volume. Amazing, no?
    Rich T.

8. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    About #9 I would say "the wildest creature" among music instruments, so hard to tame! Even harder to try to make it sing....

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As a moderator, this is easy enough to change. VB, were you just waiting to see how long until I read this thread? Chop meter is #1. And there ARE RULES!