3 Minuet Demo Video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Feb 11, 2010.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hi, I used to post on this forum back in high school and always got great help from everyone here. I'm a senior in college now and looking to begin auditioning for some real life jobs.
    First on the list is an audition for a Cirque Du Soliel production in Vegas. For the application, I need to submit a demo video of no more than three minuets! I plan on skipping out on any scales or technique drills because I feel that would waste precious time, and if I'm going out for a real job like this, hopefully it is assumed that I know my scales! So I'm hoping to cram three or four orchestral excerpts into this video.

Here's my plan:
    1. Mahler 5
    2. Mahler 3 Posthorn Solo (only first section)
    3. Pines of Rome (off stage)
    4. American in Paris

I would ideally like to get Shostakovitch 1 in there too, but think there may not be enough time. (Maybe switch it out for Mahler 5)

I'm going to talk with my professor about it on Monday, but am looking for other opinions in the meantime. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm going for as well rounded as possible, anything I should add? Do away with?

Thanks!

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think that this is what Cirque du Soleil would look for. They will rather look for a commercial sound - a recording with a dance band may be a better idea and something that fits better what you hear on cirque du soleil shows...

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I played in a circus around Christmas the last 10 years. There were many artists who also had been on Circue the Soleil. I almost never had to play any classical stuff, mostly commercial stuff in lot's of different styles: Polkas, Pop, Rock, Latin, Swing, etc.

We always had the most fun with very fast polkas!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get a DVD and transcribe the lead book and play THEIR charts. That will be early proof that you really want the job!

I think your list will succeed in not getting you to the finals - even if you ace everything. Mohammed goes to the mountain, not the other way around.