30-60 days wait and counting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by constance, May 24, 2014.

1. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    I put the down payment on the Getzen 381 Bb silver cornet today! The music store is ordering it for me. I have bought horns before but not as much thought had gone into a purchase until now. I'm really starting to concentrate on the type of musician I am now (average) compared to where I want to be. Substituting my student conn 20a with to this getzen will i hope go a long way in helping me to not only gain confidence but have better tone. Everyone on this forum have also given me some suggestions for which direction I should go in improving my playing. What I really need is private lessons but I have to live within my budget so. I also browse the internet for free help in technique. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Wish me luck on Tuesday playing in our concert with the Harry James piece and Peagant.:thumbsup:

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Good luck to it! Always remember: 99.5 % of the audience know the pieces less well than you, and won't know about mistakes. Unless you tell them where they are by your own behaviour. Remember Vladimir Horovitz. That famous pianist was known to cheat the audience every time he played Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies: For the immense jumps from left to right of the keyboard, he always had three or four keys tuned to the same note - so he could not miss. Just imagine you've done the same, and don't fear failure. Go into it with confidence, and it will be a success.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Beware what you read online. Some of that advice is so wrong for anyone other than the person writing it.

I've been lead astray so many times in so many ways that I don't bother to pay any attention to what's online any more. What is right for you is not necessarily right for me.

Tom

4. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    Oh you mean like the modified tongue. I cannot figure it out and have given up on it. I was not taught this way in school. The only thing I am trying to change is having more bottom lip and less top on the mouthpiece.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So, during a concert, he either paused after the Liszt for retuning or they rolled another piano onto the stage?

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    If your new Getzen is any thing like my Eterna or my friends Capri cornet you will be amazed at how much more in tune it is. This makes playing so much easier. Very nice sounding horns also. Enjoy!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We Hungarians are know to jump immensely, sometimes, even while wearing baggy pants!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Constance, it can be difficult for a cornet player to match sounds with a bright trumpet--it takes a huge amount of energy and can lead to early fatigue. Every instrument has its own voice, and if we know that voice we can let it play itself rather than fight with it to be something it isn't. You'll be fine at the concert--if the conductor didn't like the way you are playing they would have said something by now.

Have fun!

9. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    That's the problem, she had said something which was I'm not loud enough. As far as I'm concerned though it's really very simple. I am going to continue playing a cornet, by the way I am the only cornet player out of 8 in the section. She is the one that insists I play mostly 1st trumpet and cornet parts. I like it better and my hands hurt less holding it. I don't buy into the bologna that those playing first chair have to play a trumpet. We have a high schooler in our group who is under the impression that cornets are a dying breed. I do know that most band teachers in this area won't let the music stores rent the 6th graders anything but trumpets. I'm rambling now sorry lol. My point is that the conductors need to get used to my cornet. They can like it or lump it :D

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Constance, I have just one thing to say to you. Getzen is awsome and you wont be disappointed. Best wishes.

ps. Welcome to the wonderful world of Getzen. Youre home now and you wont be leaving anytime soon. What took you so long?