37 vs 43 Bell

Discussion in 'Horns' started by neal085, Nov 30, 2016.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Wanting to buy a 2nd trumpet, for... actually several reasons, and wanting something of about the same quality as my current horn, a B&S Challenger II with a 37 bell. I found a nice deal on a Bach Strad 43 lightweight, and was curious about a few things.

- What sound difference should I expect between the two?
    - I would primarily use the 2nd horn for practicing jazz, and have read that the 43 lends itself more readily to jazz. Valid, or placebo bullsh?
    - I've also read that LW horns feel easier to play, and my B&S is pretty heavy for a standard horn. Anything to that?
    - Pros & Cons of a LW?
    - Is this horn a good deal because nobody wants a 43?

I should probably just go play the thing and draw my own conclusions, but I'm really trying to avoid a drive to Dallas.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A 43 lightweight is going to be big, open and wide by comparison to the B&S Challenger 37. Not a bad horn at all, and some people prefer the 43 bell to the 37, but it's a different animal than a standard weight 37. It's not a horn I'd buy for classical playing or brass quintet, but it'd be right at home in a big band.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I own both 37 and 43 bell Strads. I concur with Patrick's input.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    I personally prefer 72 over the above two. If you are into commercial you may want to try 72* (lightweight)

5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a 37 & a 72 (that started life as a 37). I've played a 43* before a long time ago. If my memory serves me correctly, the 43* was easy to play, felt open, with a marvelous tone. Like others here, I prefer my 72 to my 37. Good luck & let us know what you decide!

6. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ah....the mythical/mystical 72*! LOL

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice already given.

I've played on a lightweight 43 since I was 16 years old. I like it a lot. But I'm a bit biased, since it's the main horn I've played for 30 years. I also have a regular weight 37.

A lightweight horn is not "easier to play", but may be a bit more responsive. A lightweight horn may also have a little less core.

Does anybody want a 43? I suspect a regular weight 37 is most popular, followed by a lightweight 72. But if you like it, the 43 is a great choice. I love mine.

Mike

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was an Army Bandsman, we got a bunch of Strads in that I believe were 72* bells, and I also remember that I was not particularly taken with them at the time. Then again, I had put in so much time on my personal ML/37, and was so dialed in to that particular instrument, that anything else felt and sounded pretty foreign. I wonder if I'd be more receptive to it now.

9. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    In no particular order:

1. All else being equal, the 43* will be brighter than a standard weight 37.
    2. You can control the brightness by varying the cup depth on your mouthpiece.
    3. Don't let anyone tell you you can't use the 43* for legit stuff. I used mine for orchestra for years before I bought my 72*. Granted, I probably wouldn't use it with the CSO, but they're not beating my door down to get me to play with them. The point is that what really sounds good, and what people will notice the most, is resonance. Practically anyone will want to hear bright-and-resonant over dark-and-dead. Don't think about brightness. Think about resonance. I'm not saying to sound like Maynard at orchestra rehearsal. I'm just saying relax, breathe right, and ALLOW the sound to come out, don't force it. Any of the horns mentioned in this thread will be good for that.
    4. I LOVE the sound of the 72*. However, the 43* projects better over a big band. Each horn has its place. Sometimes I pick one over the other just because of the mood I'm in.
    5. A 43* is a tremendously versatile horn that can do it all. It plays a bit more open than a 37, a bit less open than a 72. I've always been glad I bought it in college when I could only have one horn.

My 2 cents.

-John

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Patrick, you might be surprised - I'd give it a go. When I bought my Strad 43 I picked it over a 37 which I felt was a little "thin" and less warm than the 43. A couple of years later I found the 37 sounding and feeling much more like my 43 than I recalled, and it was the 72 which was a big surprise - beautifully dense and warm sounding. I believe the main change was in me, but I had previously used a Bach 3C and a Wick 2 to first try these horns and more recently a Monette B2S3 which is quite different, and maybe brought out more of the horns' qualities for me.

--bumblebee