38 y/o comeback trumpet player seeking advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bnk183, Nov 15, 2013.

1. oldtxguy

oldtxguy New Friend

Nov 12, 2013
    South TX
    Great thread here as I am a comeback guy as well after 12 yrs. I became a LEO and that killed everything for me in terms of playing on weekends, etc.. so i know what the OP is talking about. Just looking forward to great times in the future.

2. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I am a 46 year old starting player as of 1 year ago (I'd say comeback but playing for 6 months in 6th grade hardly counts.

I can give you a few words of advice....

1. Get this book and ask your instructor to teach to it. It is the only method book I have seen for trumpet for adults (unless you really dig Hot Cross Buns.
    The Jazz Method for Trumpet (Tutor Book & CD): John O'Neill: 0073999214642: Amazon.com: Books

2. I started on a $60 Bundy Selmer I picked up on eBay. As you can see from my signature, I've been smashed in the head with the collecting stick. Not bad for only a year later..... Seriously, rent for a few months, til you have a bit of chops, and read as much as you can on this forum....these guys are super smart, and know a lot about all things trumpety. After a few months, you will have a good idea of what type of sound/ horn you might want to buy. Whatever you do, don't walk into a music store and listen to a salesman tell you what trumpet you want. You don't know yet, so he/she can't possibly know. (I switched to the Yamaha Custom Z after about two months and love it, but did a lot of research before I bought it.

3. See #1. I can't speak highly enough about this book. It has kept my interest and challenged me all year. I'm about 3/4 through it now (have added lots of other books like Arbans and such to supplement technique, etc.

4. I second the stay away from eBay comment above....unless you have room for a lot of horns. Seriously, eBay is a great place to pick up good deals. If you have the interest and patience that is.

Good luck and enjoy!!! I sure have. Best thing I have ever done (less having my daughter).

3. Bnk183

Bnk183 New Friend

Nov 9, 2013
    Wow! What an amazing community! Thank you all so much for the replies and advice, it's more than I expected. I will keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks again!

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I'm almost 18 months into a comeback, and can only second the advice given so far - I have nothing to add except to reiterate that the good folks here have been tremendously helpful and have broadened my perspective. They also provide a fair amount of smarmy humor.

Congratulations on your return, sir! I hope it's rewarding.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    "They also provide a fair amount of smarmy humor."

I resemble that remark!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And I represent that fact!

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Was hoping you (of all posters) wouldn't take umbrage!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you're talking about me, I don't... I take Visa and MasterCard.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Welcome!

I started my comeback in late '09 after around 30 years off. Started sitting in with the wife's alumni band and playing at church. Just getting ready to start in a new concert band here, plus am working my way into a dance/show band that an old music friend has. Current horn is an intermediate grade Bach, plus I'm working with a flugle, cornet( first one I've ever owned), and an inexpensive C trumpet. Getting endurance and some of my upper register is a work in progress. I'm having fun with it, and that's what counts. Other than a mouthpiece safari........Buck:oops:

10. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Bnk183... Welcome to TM. Obviously, we old comeback players are always ready to pass on our accumulated wisdom to you young guys.... I suspect that there are older comeback players out there than I (age 78) with longer layoff times (51+ years) but there won't any that have had more fun than i have (although Ed Lee might come close). Any advice that I might have already appears in the above posts, but I would emphasize "have fun." In my opinion (and recognizing that there will be setbacks) if it isn't fun and fulfilling, hang it up... JA