38 y/o comeback trumpet player seeking advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bnk183, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Bnk183

Bnk183 New Friend

Nov 9, 2013
    I guess I'm a little impulsive...I had my first lesson and it went really well. Instructor was pleased with my progress in the hour session. So, after playing a couple of trumpets in my session and a handful in the music store I pulled the trigger and got the cannonball 725 with brute finish. It really did sound good, looked good, and seemed to play easier than the student model I was also using. I think I'll be happy with it and I'm certainly excited to keep playing it. I know a lot of you recommended a nice used pro or beginner horn, I guess I just kinda had my heart set. Let the shots begin...

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    No shots from this quarter. If that Cannonball excites you about trumpet playing and keeps you motivated to practice and improve, it is perfect for you. Congratulations on your new trumpet!
    Jim

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I can say that purchasing a pro horn got me motivated to practice a lot more. I kind of wanted to be worthy of the horn, if that makes sense.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Makes sense to me. I still have a couple horns I'm not worthy of, but it's a motivation to keep improving on them.

5. jsh721

jsh721 New Friend

Dec 30, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Well,I think that I win with the dubious distinction of being a 55 year old comeback player. Actually, I picked up my trumpet about 6 years ago, laid out another year and picked it up again. I was a pretty good trumpet play in high school, but abandoned the music for the music of the oilfields. Actually, I don't work in the oil fields, but on the business side of them. Droning pumps aside (which, by the way, make a woeful bass note and could be the inspiration for something someday), I play for my church and have met fellow souls in various meet up groups ("Meetup" is an app for your phone. You enter in your interests, and based on your location, it offers suggestions for things going on that you might be interested in.) I found several groups for comeback players and have met a bunch of good friends. I also (took me three years at one class a semester) finished one of the Masters certificates at Berklee online so that I could have a basis in theory and move forward so that I could hold my head up at jazz and pop jams. It held, but I am now working on the non book parts - listen listen listen and transcribe. Finale, a music program, helps with my own tunes as I can write it and listen to it (Im not a piano player) right then. Helps with my ear as well. There are numerous ear training and chord apps out there for the Android phone and for my iPad. Band in a Box helps too. I get tired of hearing myself play alone. (not including the dogs howls. Everyone's a critic!)
    Anyway, just starting on my year long plan to get over the next hill and be a little bit better. I am going to search this post for jazz instruction and practice ideas.

Good luck and happy hunting!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    From one 55 year-old oil industry comeback player to another - happy new year and welcome to TM! :-)

Seth

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What Seth is trying to say" Oils well that ends well.