3rd Horn Recommendations

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rwawsw, Dec 4, 2016.

1. rwawsw

rwawsw New Friend

Jan 5, 2015
    Central Oregon
    I am a come back player. Let go for 35 years and for what ever reason decided to play again. Best decision I have made recently!

I am not a professional player and part (big part) of my motivation is to collect as I consider trumpets to be pieces of art.

Currently have:

Reynolds Medalist - the horn I bought in a thrift store upon my return and I will keep it (Olds production) - best $125 I have ever spent
    King Silver Flair 1055T - 1973 Eastlake production - I have had some minor work done on it and its incredible - I will keep it for life

Looking to add to the collection...working on my jazz technique and improvisation. cant afford a Martin Committee (have 2 sons in College) but I would like to add to the collection. Enjoy scouring the classifieds and if I could narrow the search, I may find what something at a reasonable cost.

Suggestions appreciated!

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    What do you consider a reasonable cost?

What about a flugelhorn?

3. larry huene

larry huene Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    Lots of interesting and nice playing Cornets out there.
    I just picked up a nice one and other than a good cleaning, oil the
    valves, grease what needs to be greased I'm a happy man.
    You will need cornet mouthpieces though.

4. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    What is your price range? Are you looking at vintage professional trumpets or modern trumpets ? Have you looked at a Conn 28 A cornet?

Martin Troubadour trumpet currently listed on ebay. It is a pea shooter from the 30s with art deco styling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAR...983153?hash=item2cb6981cb1:g:bJgAAOSwPCVYASYY[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

Conn 22 B trumpet with beautiful engraving currently listed on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...467889?hash=item1c76c15c71:g:6pkAAOSwux5YKlCU

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Be careful! N+1 can be very addictive, I had 2 for 20 years then I discovered the internet and this site, now I have in excess of 40. I seem to be attracted to the more unusual horns.

Lots of interesting Conns, Olds, Reynolds, Buescher, York and many others pre and post WW2 to the 60s and 70s, Larry's suggestion of a cornet is good, lots still reasonably cheap, Conn 80A, very versatile with choice of mouthpiece.

Regards, Stuart.

6. rwawsw

rwawsw New Friend

Jan 5, 2015
    Central Oregon
    Ok, I like the idea of a cornet or a flugelhorn but I have limited knowledge of them and would appreciate some direction. I am a good product guy and can do the research. My price range is $500 or less. I do realize that the King SF that I have can handle anything I can request of it and my motivation is as a collector more than the need for an instrument that can deliver something that my King can't. Hopefully that makes sense.

7. rwawsw

rwawsw New Friend

Jan 5, 2015
    Central Oregon
    To answer the question by Gendreauj...vintage appeals to me. when I was a kid, I worked in a gas station 3 blocks from the Olds factory in Fullerton CA. Old guts (like me) have a soft spot for the old stuff!

8. rwawsw

rwawsw New Friend

Jan 5, 2015
    Central Oregon
    If I was looking for a vintage Cornet or a Flugelhorn in that $500 or under range what what be recommended?

9. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Buy a Xeno and you won't have to buy any more horns.

I'm only partially kidding.