3rd Slide Trigger/ 1st Slide Trigger Assembly SET For Holton Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Apr 10, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I've recently bought a holton cornet and it's a 1952 one.
    It's got NO 3rd slide finger ring neither a 1st slide thumbhook too!
    But I REALLY Need 3rd to be played.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW where to buy a trigger assembly kit and install them?
    OR does anyone someone who actually installs them for you?

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You are in New Zealand (not sure which part). I suggest consult your local repairers about this:
    Andrew Leech
    Sean Murphy
    KBB Music
    Vanguard Orchestral Services
    etc. etc.

Or ask your private teacher for recommendations.

Any solution we come up with in the Northern Hemisphere will be cost prohibitive for an Antipodean (speaking as a trumpet builder, and ex-Antipodean)

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    If it is not made with one it generally doesn't need it, and to change it you would need a different slide set up "reversed".

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    My '52 has no 3rd slide adjustment except to pull the slide like the main which I do, about a 1/16". Some trumpets have a ring but no intonation adjustment feature. Anyway you probably have a nice horn with roomy slots

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A good tech can do just about anything you want to a horn. I had a 1949 L.A. Olds Ambassador customized years ago so the 3rd valve slide would actually work with the finger ring. It involved removing a brace and reversing the inner and outer parts of the slide. The same could be done with the 1st slide for a saddle. Triggers don't usually require that type of mod, but the parts cost a lot more. While they were at it, they put a shepherds crook in the bell for me...:-)

[​IMG]

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    That is a nice looking shepherd's crook

7. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Do you really need a third slide ring? I would never ever modify any Holton vintage horn... If you wanted modern features, then you should have bought a modern horn.

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    How do you like the shepherds crook? Does it work with the horn!

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I sold that Ambassador about 10 or 15 years ago. It played like an Ambassador, no better or worse. When I first joined a brass band, I played it, but quickly learned that I needed a better cornet.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I like triggers, having played an Olds Recording cornet for a lifetime. And my Holton Stratodyne cornet has a first slide trigger, third slide ring. But lots of my other horns have only a saddle hook for first, a ring for third. And they work very well, as long as you don't keep feeling for the triggers that aren't there. The beauty of the hook-and-ring arrangement is that any good tech can install them on just about any horn. They don't even necessarily have to be adjustable to be usable.