3rd Slide valve ring for Conn Coprion Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    You shouldn't have a problem cleaning the horn. I have a 67 Coprion Director cornet with an attachment on the 3rd slide, but I feel it is likely for a lyre only. It is not constructed as to be usable for tuning adjustment, in my opinion. Many cornets have extended slides to help with the problem notes. What I do is pull out the end maybe 1/2" and that really helps in "lipping" the pitches.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I've got one if your other leads fail... :-)

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks Mendez for the offer but now MFfan says I dont need one I dont know I though all horns had one ????:-?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    DON"T LOSE THE SPRINGS!! ROFL If you aren't used to bottom sprung valves, you have to remember to not drop, crush , or mutilate them in the cleaning process. Other than that, the copper finish is cleaned the same as brass. Dishwashing soap is fine. I don't recommend metal polishes on copper as it turns it "pink".

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here are some pics from the Conn Loyalist. These Coprion cornets are the 18A's and a 17A (yours?). There are slide attachments on both the newer cornets. The early 18A has none. The slide ring is also a music lyre holder for marching band music on newer horns. I find this to be true across the board for trumpets and cornets. That's why the lyre is bent at the bottom. I have and have seen pre-ring 3rd slide horns with the lyre holder soldered in a vertical/up and down orientation. If your cornet has a horizontal/side to side holder, then you "need" a slide ring.

The Conn Loyalist 17A

The Conn Loyalist 18A early w/o ring

The Conn Loyalist 18A late with ring