3rd valve on my Yamaha YTR2320?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Feroyn, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Feroyn

Feroyn New Friend

Sep 26, 2014
    3rd valve slide on my Yamaha YTR2320?

Hey!

I recently got a Yamaha YTR2320 for like $150, and it's in really good condition. I have a few questions though!

- The 3rd valve slide is not really working very well. It's not very bouncy backwards as I've felt with expensive trumpets, it kinda just goes out to where I pull it and stays there, and also it's quite slow and not so smooth (tried different lubes, not sure which one I should be using?) Any help on this? I did clean it out all together with soap and warm water, rinsed it with sponge that comes with trumpet cleaner kit. I want a nice springy and very smooth 3rd valve slide...

- The finger rest for the pinky of the right hand is missing, what's the best way to accommodate for this?

Thanks!

W.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Take it to a shop. They can fix both problems for you. The 3rd slide needs to be realigned, maybe cleaned, maybe lapped. The pinky hook needs to have a new one soldered on. Since you bought the horn used at a good price, you should probably go ahead and get it cleaned while you're at it. Considering what you paid, you can invest a bit more and still have a very good student horn at a good price.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    See a tech.

A new pinky hook can be fitted.
    See a tech.

Welcome to Trumpet Master.

Edit: I misread the post

4. Feroyn

Feroyn New Friend

Sep 26, 2014
    Damn! Quick answers! Thanks.

Hmm, the thing is - the local brass and woodwinds shop here charges about 140 USD for in-and-out thorough cleaning, lubrication and change of water key corks. It's so much, ya know? But maybe it's worth it...

I did bathe the instrument in soap water, rinsed it out as well as I could with the pistons too, and it did help a lot with those but not so much with the 3rd valve slide.

W.

5. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    What slide grease are you using? I found each of my cornets require different amounts of slide grease. I didn't see where you live. If you live in Metro Detroit, I know of someone that charges a lot less.

J

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you think the horn is clean enough skip that and just address the slide and pinky hook.

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Yeah that's a judgement call. I like to clean used horns, who knows what the previous owner blew through it. Depending on the problem with the 3rd slide, some shops may not fix it without cleaning it, especially if it needs lapping. I'm guessing you don't live in the USA? If not, I guess you need to compare the average cost of used hornsin your area vs what you already paid+the repair costs. If you can't buy a used yamaha in ready to play condition for $300 usd, it's still a good deal.

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    There's a shop in my area that charges approximately the value of a student horn itself to clean it and get it in shape. :thumbdown: $140 for cleaning and corks is no bargain from my perspective; find someone else.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Herco makes a good slide grease. Don't use valve oil.
    Did you check to make sure the little screw that keeps the slide from falling out isn't catching it when it's fully extended?
    Try putting one slide in with the other one out and then reverse .. if both slide smoothly then it's an alighment issue. If they don' slide then you probably need to get some of the oxidation off of the slide.