3rd Valve Ring Use

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Hey gang! I love to watch trumpet YouTube videos. From straight up professionals to church amateurs it is always fun. The one thing I notice most often is the different preference for which finger is used to move the 3rd valve slide. Some hold the bottom of the valves and use their index finger or more commonly so their middle finger when holding it like that. On the other hand Wynton is now using his pinky to move the slide as his index finger is over top the bell.

I personally use my ring finger with my P3. The black elastic band/string Monette includes helps to bring it to slide back easily. I just have to get it the right length and I'm set. I'm not gonna lie, my LEAST favorite part of playing the trumpet, having to move that damn thing. I've had to get way better since switching to the heavier Monette.

Everyone's hand is made differently, so I thought it would be fun to ask, "What's your preference?" :D

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use my Thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I use my middle finger.

Mike

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    On any normal trumpet I use my middle finger with a two over and two under style grip. On my old Blessing Artist cornet with an underslung ring I use my pinky with the other three on top

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Ditto

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I use my ring finger. It's the most comfortable, and it seems to give me the most reach. The point is moot on a trigger; anything other than the ring finger is way too awkward. However, I find that the installed position of the trigger on an Olds Recording trumpet is too close to the valve casing assembly for my large hands. If I owned one, I'd reposition the pivot to resolve that ergonomic mismatch.

7. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I was taught ring finger, which I could do easier on my adjustable ring-ed Cornet. I have small hands, so I could adjust it to fit my ring finger. My Xeno has a fixed ring, so I can't do that anymore. Ring finger works on the Xeno, but as of late I have tried using my pinky. It's easier to adjust, but my other fingers are kind of crammed between the ring and valve casing. I will experiment to find what works best for me.
    I have always used ring finger, but I didn't think until now that anyone did different.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ring finger. In fact, with the Monette, the difference in tone color requires precise placement.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    There is another topic for investigation, " The effect of which finger is used on the third slide on sound spectra of a trumpet".

Regards, Stuart.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    A shop could move that ring for you