3rd Valve Ring Use

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I am a 9th grader who is still growing, so I probably wouldn't want to do that. My hands will eventually grow so that I can use the ring finger with the same flexibility as my pinky can now. But thanks for the suggestion

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Wow! 9th grade on a Xeno! I think I had a beat to death King Clevland until sophomore year when I conned my parents into getting me an NOS Holton Collegiate on an end of the year close out sale. You've got the equipment, and as long as you're comfortable with using your pinky just keep at it

3. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, I am a 9th grader on a Xeno. Last year my parents (both musicians) thought I needed a step-up horn. We got it from Carolina Crown, the drum corps. It was a pretty good deal. Used for a season, with a few small dings, but a great horn nonetheless. As for the pinky, I have been using index, until now. I am trying pinky to see how it works for me. I am undecided for now, but will figure it out eventually. How would using different fingers on the slide affect tonal color?

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    That is beyond me about colors! I'm a mere amature

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    With so little stress in the Monette with how it's made dampening any chance for the trumpet to be resonant definitely makes sense!

7. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Once I watched enough Monette vids I really started hearing the difference in colors depending on a lighter model horn or heavier. The different mouthpieces have a lot to say in terms of color as well, from a shallow lead to a flumpet. Outrageously fun stuff!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, and I just thought that was a gesture you were giving me when we played together a few weeks ago. Actually as TrumpetMD will tell you when he played my Committee, It doesn't exist on my horn. Don't need it so I don't use it. The Committee is so loose at slotting you can sculpt the note without the need of a third valve ring.

9. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    But doesn't lipping a note up or down that much change the resonance and tone?

10. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    For years i used the ring finger - when i was evaluating my purchase of a Schilke X3 i noticed that my (large) hand was tight around the valve assembly. But i could adjust my left hand grip with two around the valves and two under the third slide - this put my middle finger in position to use the ring. Works fine and the change i grip adjusted my horn alignment to my face in a good way. So that is what i use on the X3 i ultimately purchased.