3rd Valve Ring Use

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Dec 23, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It does on most of my horns but not my Committee. I guess because I use it so often, I just know how to hit the note solid as it doesn't bend it just plays in tune. I cannot do this on my Recordings or Ambassador so I use the ring for those horns (ring finger as Rowuk noted).

Check out the pictures of Miles and Chris Botti playing their Committees. The third valve rings are off on theirs in many of the shots as well.

2. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    i learned to use the third slide ring (tropismatic response) -- but since many of the players with whom i play do not - i adjust on the fly. The relevant issue is to listen and adjust - the mechanical issue is to determine what works the quickest.

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I wish the clarinets I play with would learn to do that. They just think you push a key and the correct note magically comes out...
    It sounds horrendous on the notes above the stave.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, Gary let me play his Committee earlier this month at a gig in Maryland. No 3rd valve ring on his committee. And he's right -- I didn't miss it.

Mike

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Never really thought about it. Middle finger for me, but being more or less an amatuer, I don't use it much:dontknow::oops:

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Amateur or professional being in tune is important for all of us! Merry Christmas!!