3rd valve slide: cream, valve oil or a mix?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kehaulani, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's udder cream aka "bag balm" for dairy cows.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's called BAG BALM as Ed Lee indicated -- and I suppose GM, if you applied it to your person --- and even with the baggy pants for a gig, I bet you will be MOOVED to play real high notes!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks BigDub, Sr

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In all seriousness, this works very well for women undergoing those long weeks of radiation therapy for breast cancer. My heart goes out to you all.

5. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Glad to hear from the Hetman camp. I too have turned most of my horns over to Hetman oil and tuning slide grease. Hetman #3 piston oil for first and third valve slides and #1 for the valves. When I hit the valves I also hit the valve slides (with the #3). All synthetic - therefore no problems mixing with the dinosaurs.

This is one of those wonderful questions whereby nobody is 'wrong'. It's all about what works for each player; what makes them happy. Really.... we all just want to be happy. (and play a double C of course!) :-)

6. Dr Jackle

Dr Jackle New Friend

Nov 15, 2013
    Austria (not Australia;)
    That's right. It's all about what works best for each player and for each trumpet. Me for example I use Hetman valve oil #2 on one tube of the slide and a mix of the oil and some grease on the other tube. This may sound strange but it's the best way to minimize what I think is some kind of technical flaw in the 3rd slide of my old horn. It's not really an alignment problem but maybe some minor deformation of one of the two slide tubes. But with this method its works okay :lol:

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I use Magic slide grease and cut it as required with Magic valve oil:D:D:D:D

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Also feels great for dry skin of both sexes. Lots of geriatric and bed ridden patient application.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Commercial plug!

10. CornetComeback

CornetComeback New Friend

Jan 26, 2013
    As Dale said about Selmer with Blue Juice. Another grease not so sticky as Selmer is regular dielectric grease from any hardware or auto parts store.