3rd valve slide: cream, valve oil or a mix?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kehaulani, Feb 17, 2012.

1. j.aaron.s

j.aaron.s New Friend

Nov 25, 2013
    Mexico
    I like my 1st and 3rd slides to be super-slick--especially since I'm playing on a horn that needs a lot of correction for the low D and especially C#. My 1st line E is also sharp, so I need a quick adjustment on the first slide as well. I've always used cork grease, believe it or not, then "cut" it (as several others have suggested) with valve oil to make it even slicker. It's like they're moving on air!

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    In terms of commercially made lubricants, I have used Schilke slide grease. I like it better than any other product I have used.

I have also used the Bag Balm as mentioned above.

The thing that many of these products have in common, regardless of whether they are made specifically for instrument slides or some other primary purpose, is they all contain lanolin.

You can always add a drop or two of valve oil if faster movement is desired.

3. Auburn Tiger

Auburn Tiger New Friend

Dec 7, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I usually use superslick slide grease mixed with blue juice. Works like magic on my horn.

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    In my original post on this thread (back in 2011, I think!!), I said I used slide grease. About 2 years ago, my local brass tech suggested using a mix of slide grease and valve oil. Feeling the way the slides on my Bach Strad B-flat moved after Chris untrasonically cleaned it the first time, I took his suggestion to heart, and now I use slide grease with a drop of valve oil.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Martin Committee owner's manual actually recommends putting a drop of valve oil down the valve slide on ocassion.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yup. it makes the 3rd valve slide as slick as a trombone slide, but I'd like to insert a caution to many as do not have a stop mechanism on the third valve slide in that you'll have to hold onto it somehow when you make a mute change and tie it off when transporting. That's why I've the habit of reaching for a mute with my right hand.

7. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    wHAT! R.T.F.M? What are you some kind of demented musician? I bet you even get people to read technical stuff too!ROFLROFL

Rick

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    With all due respect, this manual was written for a trumpet designed and built before the days of CNC tolerances and synthetic lubricants. At this same time, Bach was recommending cold cream for valves.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Bet thier complection was nice,though,Ivan:roll::lol::oops:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cold cream is pretty thick. Any insight as to Bach's rational for suggesting cold cream. I know at one time Conn recommended distilled water!