3rd valve slide problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ngrossman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ngrossman

ngrossman New Friend

Dec 30, 2010
    MA
    I have a student trumpet in mint condition. I have tried all I could to clean the 3rd valve slide but nothing seems to do the trick. It is able to slide but it seems I can't get it to easily slide out. Does anybody have any suggestions for me. I have already tried valve slide key oil, grease, and a snake.​

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Try one leg at a time, if they are free then you have an alignment problem which is best left to a tech to rectify.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Like Stumac said, it could be out of alignment. Other things that can cause it to hang are slides with too large a tolerance between them, and little dings or the tubes being slightly out of round. If it is a tolerance issue, a thicker grease can remedy that.

4. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I just acquired an early Olds Studio which I had my brass tech go through and work on. The third valve slide was binding. He found a ding on one of the inner tubes of the slide. He rolled that out, and now the slide works great. I've also had horns where the third valve slide was just slightly misaligned. Finding an experienced brass tech is the key. I'm curious as to the brand of instrument you are having difficulties with.