3rd Valve Slide proper technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 11, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Guys.. here's an off the wall question ... which I probably should know the answer to but don't
    Okay so you hit that low C# and kick out the valve slide but you let up on the thrid valve before you can pull it back in ... what do you do ... or does it even matter..
    Do you force the slide back and fight the compression.. do you wait for another time you need the third valve and if you don't need the slide out just pull it in? :dontknow:
    I never noticed this being a problem before but it's just bugging me. I was wondering if fighting the compression messes up the horn.

2. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I just pull it in, then release the compression by depressing the 3rd valve at the earliest opportunity. Doesn't happen too often though, I usually get it back in in time :)

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Pulling the slide back against the compression will not harm the horn, it will gradually leak away past the valve or the slide.

A small hole can be drilled in the side of the valve to vent the slide when the valve is up, I have never seen a horn with this done, only read of it.

I have never had a problem until I got a Mt Vernon Bach, with no 3rd slide water key and a free dump slide which moves out when I return the slide with the valve up. I will probably end up by expanding the slide slightly to tighten it up.

Regards, Stuart.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I had the same problem on my Bach... the free dump slide was popping out ..expanded the slide.. no problem now..
    thanks guys ... I think I lost the knack for getting the slide in quickly after not playing for many years...

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I just leave it out until there is a convenient time to retract it - not been a problem (at my level of playing).

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I had a very interesting experience with holes drilled in valves. I was working with one of my customers on his design for a new trumpet. Things were going well but the response was not quite as he expected. His first valve had this hole drilled in it to stop the "popping". When we replaced this first valve with one that had not been drilled, it improved the response and he was much happier with the overall playing of the horn.

So my advice would be to be careful about changing ANYTHING on your horn; it might have a profoundly negative effect.:dontknow:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's more of a problem when the horn has good compression, right? I guess you have to be quick with the fingers .... or you can lip down on those notes and avoid the slide altogether.:dontknow:

Turtle

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't suppose I've ever owned a horn with enough compression to matter, even the new ones...

If you're playing a passage with a lot of need for the 3rd valve slide and you have no other notes (in-tune ones) that use the 3rd valve, you can leave it out with no ill effect.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

You would be better off if you got the slide tubes plated in copper or silver, or bought a new "dump" slide. Expanding messes up the slide more than most people think. It is very difficult to expand a slide evenly for the whole length of the tubes like it would really need. Even if one could expand it evenly you still wind up with a slide that does not have the correct bore size.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Or, if playing D followed by Eb, use the 1st slide saddle to compensate.