3rd Valve Slide proper technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    OK for most situations, but Marching??

Worse if you're Marching and fiddling with a 3rd free slide to dump the spit...fumble and the free dump slide is marched over by 5 people behind you. :-o

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Bach Strad...marching??? I don't think so :shhh:

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have experienced this with my Destino III -- solved by reapplying slide grease. I have read on the Edwards Trumpets website about a "vented valves" option to solve this. Does anybody know what that looks like? A hole drilled into the valve?

--bumblebee

P.S. Okay, I just did a search on this site and found a discussion about vented valves from 2008. (http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/valve-venting-31734-3.html)

It seems that there could be a downside for my trumpet -- the third valve slide (the bit with the trigger, not the other bit on the end) is prone to slide out to the stop on occassion. I think a vented 3rd valve would make it slide out all the time unless I put a rubber band on it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Perhaps you need to watch the Edinburgh Tattoo to see how many Bach Strads are used in Pro Bands NOT NECESSARILY the DCI type USA bands.

I know Pro players who have Bach in Military Bands/Police Bands etc.

Yes they are used in Marching bands.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hetmans #9 will solve any slide looseness issue. It's as close to super glue as one can get and still pull the slide. I use it on the tuning slide of my Super Deluxe and it BARELY moves. It is a lot cheaper than modifications.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sure - it's great stuff, but how do you clean it off your fingers?:dontknow:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Acetone! :lol: Really, I just rub my fingers together until it's a little ball of putty and wipe it on a tissue.

8. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I have a vented third valve. I causes no problems whatsoever.

I'd post a picture of it, but I can't figure out how to do it :-(

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

LOVE the 1st slide, but only on my Connstellation, with it's trigger. It works so well, I took the 3rd slide ring off and clamped the slide shut with the stop rod.

Turtle

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A standard design piston has an air passage in it which allows equalization of the air pressure between the trapped space under the top valve cap (through a small hole in the top of the piston) and the vented space created by having a hole in the bottom cap. This air space surrounds the ported passages through the pistons which line up with the slide and through tubing in down or up positions. (In other words, the piston is a hollow cylinder, not solid). By drilling a small hole through from the outside into the hollow space, that hole lined up with the bottom tube of the third valve slide when the piston is in the UP position, it allows the air pushed in there when you retract the the slide from its extended position to escape through the hole and into the hollow piston (and out the bottom).

It also allows that 3rd slide to drop to the extended position when you hold the horn mouthpiece-up, or put it on a stand. Without a mechanism to retain the slide it will fall right off.