3rd Valve Slide proper technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jul 11, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, there's another reason I love the 1st slide trigger ....... (and clamping the 3rd slide shut with the stop rod) ..... I'll never lose the 3rd slide off the horn, and it never inadvertently creeps open when playing. Left hand fingers now have nothing to do but hold the trumpet up.

Turtle

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I never worry about mine falling off as it is used in conjunction with my "octave key" (a.k.a. pinky hook)!!:lol::lol:

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The 3rd slide of my Eastman has not only fallen off several times, it's flown off. If my practice space wasn't carpet, it would be a mess. It nearly hit the cat once. A 3rd slide is not only a danger to itself when flying off the trumpet, it can be a hazard to pets, children or bare feet.:lol:

Turtle

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    my Conn Concert Grand didn't come with an Octive Key :dontknow:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I try to get my slide in very quickly with the valve still depressed before I proceed to the next note. Such has worked for me most of the time on most of the horns I've played. I will say that my third valve slide on my own instruments is as slick or slicker than a trombone slide, and when I've no brake on it I tie it off with a white shoestring when I'm putting my instrument away.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you want one, a tech could put one on. ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Play it 1 3; low G with 2 3; low Ab with 3.