3rd valve slide strap.....where do I find these things???/

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 11, 2013.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I am scouring the great interweb for those little straps that hold the 1st/3rd valve slide in while in the case.
    Can anyone direct me to where to get them or what folks make these out of?

thanks,
    J

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I was shown this with the bands that some women use to put their hair in poneytails by a brass instrument tech.

I believe these can be found in health and beauty section of most dept. stores or pharmacies for very cheap money.

They are basically rubber band type material with a cloth type fabric over the outside.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rubber bands can damage finishes, especially silver. String works pretty well.

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Yep, its not voodoo. Its just string and hair ties

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Even elasticised hair bands leave black marks in silver. Harrelson's use them when shipping a trumpet and reckon that they don't damage the trumpet - I can show photos (they are in my album) where these little "rubber" rings have permanently marked the finish - it's faint now, because I've been at it with MAAS polish, but the marks are still there - BEWARE.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Even that red rubber eraser on the pencil in your case can wreck havoc with your silver plated instrument or mouthpiece.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Pipe cleaners

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In the crafts section of Wal-Mart as you may not want to go to a tobacco shop. My alternate suggestion is floral wires or plastic bag ties.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I second pipe cleaners. Of the three horns I've received new, two had those hair bands covered in fabric and one had pipe cleaners. Both horns with the bands had a faint line (friction?) across the valve block. One horn was lacquered, the other plated. The horn with pipe cleaners was plated, and I could discern no marks at all.

--bumblebee

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I second pipe cleaners. Of the three horns I've received new, two had those hair bands covered in fabric and one had pipe cleaners. Both horns with the bands had a faint line (friction?) across the valve block. One horn was lacquered, the other plated. The horn with pipe cleaners was plated, and I could discern no marks at all.

--bumblebee

tedh1951 likes this.