3rd valve slide strap.....where do I find these things???/

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 11, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    At one time Bach marketed a plastic something that was for this purpose. Also, Radio Shack or other supplier has plastic coated electronics wire that would serve the purpose well.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You've received some good answers so far. A shoelace of the appropriate material would work too.

But you have to ask yourself... why are my slides falling off when the trumpet is in the case? I postulate two reasons: the slide fit is pretty loose and the valve fit is pretty loose.

You might consider getting those valves pressure tested; if they're leaky you might be working harder than you need to. You might also see whether a little bit closer fit on those valve slides is warranted.

Valve refit isn't cheap but then again neither is buying a new horn.

Tom

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    It's a new horn. No fit issues. Just a preference. Have my 3rd slide oiled pretty good. Was actually thinking of stiffening it up a bit with grease instead of adding a contraption and dealing with the minuscule increase in throw resistance.

J

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    A third reason could be that the OP ships his horn by air. If the horn has good compression (valves providing a good seal) then the sea-level air pressure in the slides relative to the lower air pressure in the aeroplane cargo hold could cause the slides to pop out (and perhaps scratch or dent the horn by falling around loose in the case) unless they are secured. You can often see this working in reverse where your empty plastic water bottle with the lid firmly on seems to collapse or crumple a bit by the time the plane has landed.

--bumblebee

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
    A stop could be added by a repair shop.

6. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    French Horn Rotary Valve String & 10 minutes time

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dental floss! Don't laugh, it works well on those rotaries that use strings and I found very difficult to accurately reset once they broke. I suppose there are now two schools on rotaries, players that prefer the string, and those that like the mechanical linkage. I'm now staying away from either.