3rd valve slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hey everyone.

What is the most effective way to clean just the 3rd valve slide? I dropped it on the floor (ouch :shhh:) and it has some dirt and what not on it. I took it to a cleaner to estimate it, but he only does a full overhaul and it costs $65. So this looks like a job for me.

So which basic, house-hold items can I use to get it almost as brand new?

2. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    Unless it's bent or dented, a little soap and water followed by drying and lubing should make it just fine. Or did you drop the whole horn ?

As for lube, I use anhydrous lanolin rather than grease.

Michael

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Step 1: Smack yourself in the back of the head... this is to reinforce what you already know.

Step 2: Soak in warm, not hot, soapy water.

Step 3: Dry thoroughly with a lent-free cloth, or allow to air dry completely.

Step 4: Lube with your favorite lube... I prefer Ultra-pure.

Step 5: Re-assemble and muter to yourself that it was dumb to drop the slide. Smack yourself in the back of the head to reinforce what you already know.

:thumbsup:

4. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If Mike's directions on cleaning are followed, but you find the slide is damaged and will not work properly, you'll need to have it professionally repaired. There must be something missing in your description though. I don't know of any shops that say they only do full overhauls if all that needs to be done is pop a dented slide back into shape.

5. wownet

wownet New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Virginia
    For the inside portion, I've used toothpaste to get everything looking like new. Note this is not something you want to do to the outside of the horn :-)

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

Good point...

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Is this guy for real? I think someone is playing with you guys!!

8. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Thanks for the replies. I dropped it because I didn't know the little screw keeping the slide from falling was loose (God knows why), and I was fiddling with my valves while my trumpet is pointed straight down. I didn't need to smack myself though because knowing my baby is hurt is band enough :shhh:.