3rd valve slide.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by roryhislop, Apr 29, 2009.

1. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    So, I have noticed on almost all Stradavarius trumpets there is no spit valve. I find this slightly annoying because taking the slide out is simple and easy but I would much rather have a spit valve. My question is does anywhere sell slides fitted for the strad with a spit valve?
    Thanks!

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have a Spada-Bach with spit valve on the 1st slide but never use it....(I mean the spit valve). The point is: You don't really need it.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Hi, my strad like many doesnt have the third valve spit key/valve. I dont really care for it though. It takes exactly ten seconds to slide the end part of the slide off and empty it, i do it during four bar rests if really neccesary. But it doesnt fill that often so i dont think its really neccesary to get a third valve spit valve

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Again didn't really read carefully...No 3rd slide spit valve...that is more of a problem, but any tech should be able to instal one...if not, all strad made now should have a spit valve...so replacement parts should not be so difficult to get for any tech...I guess so

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am sure you could buy a slide, but it is surely cheaper to have a spit valve installed on your slide. Check with a local tech. This is the kind of stuff that they have laying around.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I had one put on both my Strad trumpet and Strad cornet. The one on the cornet was especially needed, as the slide comes so close to the bell when removing it. Cost was around $40 for the trumpet and $50 for the cornet (slide had to be relacquered).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can also empty the water by holding the trumpet with the bell slightly up, tilted so the right side is up, and blow through it with first the 3rd valve pressed, then blow though it with #2 down, than lastly through with #1 down. Tilt the bell straight up and roll it to pointing down so the water will come out of the area where the bell meets #1 and drain. Some horns actually collect water there and it cannot be let out a spit valve anyway.

veery

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    So as a somewhat silly followup to this question, on my Benge, I don't have a "water key," and the slide stop is broken off, so I just slide the slide off periodically and empty it. It's kind of kept me from getting the slide stop fixed. My slides have some patina on them and don't slide all that easy, so it doesn't fall out, but neither does it slide super easy. It does slide about as easily as my Olds Ambassador slides - which are nice and clean.

Is there value in taking it in, getting the water key added and the slides cleaned up professionally to move nicely, and have the slide stop fixed? Any idea how much this will cost?

I'd not been much for using these slides when I played years ago, but I'm trying to build better habits this go 'round. And, I am not quite sure just how easily I should expect these to move with the Benge being my only "pro" quality horn.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is interesting how the Bach Strads don't have one on the third slide. If you are in a marching band it would be tricky to pull the slide off to empty the spit, and you do not want to be doing spins on the move, as a risk of dropping etc. The valve is convenient and safer.

There must be some technical reason why they don't come standard on Bach Strads.
    Dale's work looks great, pity it is not standard.

10. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    I totally agree it just seems strange. Maybe their is reason to their methods...probably or it is just tradition.