3rd valve slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me a little advice on using the third valve slide compensator, I have very small hands and no matter what my teacher and myself try I can't seem to get it moving. I am very happy with my teacher, as comeback player I'm progressing nicely. The problem is when I was first playing the Cornet my then teahcers attitude was " What do you want those modern things for use your lip" and I can to a great extent on the Cornet. Even when I first got manky school instruments the third slide ring was often missing. At the moment I have my third finger in the slide ring but when I try to move it I often end up moving the whole horn (the slide is plenty free). Obviously I know when it should be used its just the doing it.

Thanks all

Andrew

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Maybe either get a trigger for the 3rd slide - it might be easier
    Or, maybe have the ring moved in by a tech to make it easier to move

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Corny,

First make sure that your grip is not too tight/tensed. If that is not the case, you may wanna try to get a cornet with spring triggers instead of saddles/rings, or go to your local tech/repairman and ask to install triggers on your instrument. It would be a good idea to first try such an instrument prior to purchase/trigger installment. Another possibility is to get a vintage cornet with longer slides and lip these notes that you cannot adjust by compensating mechanisms.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is nothing wrong with using your lips. I don't know how old you are or how much you will continue to grow. If you will increase in size, just don't worry about it. When you are bigger, it will be much easier.

If your body is pretty much as big as it will get, a tech can move the ring.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry Rowuk

At 37, I aint gonna grow much except in the wrong direction, the ring is adjustable so I assume that the best course is to fiddle till I get it to a usable position and as always practice. (It does work I got an extra semitone today)

Thanks

Andrew

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    All good advice above.

The most obvious answer to moving a slide when you are having trouble is to install a trigger as others have indicated. It requires very little strength or movement and quickly pops slide in or out. Of course, there will be some expense with it. But, it is a quick, permanent fix so you never have to think about it again.

Having the ring or saddle moved in may help, but isn't going to 100% guarantee it will solve your issue. It may, or may not.

Of course, the cheapest fix is to lip it. In fact, many people don't fool with the slides but make the change with their chops. A number of my horns have both 1st and 3rd valve slides and or triggers. I rarely use any of them ---maybe on a C# that is a half note or longer. Best of luck.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The slide tubes need to be in good alignment and working freely. If it is functioning properly, it should take almost no effort to throw it out or pull it in.

8. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    You may also want to consider the positioning of your left hand. On one horn I have I hold the valve casing at the bottom on actuate the 3v slide with my left forefinger. On my other horns I use the third finger of my left hand. Triggers certainly make life a lot easier too. It's more important that you play the notes in tune than that you extend the slide for that low C# / D no matter how you manage to do that.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Try putting your ring finger in the ring and your middle finger against the ring in front of it. Push the ring out with that middle finger and use your ring finger to move it back in. It helps to not have a death grip on the horn with your left hand.

It is not unusual to have trouble with this, especially if you didn't learn to do in when young. It will come with time, but patience and practice will be needed. Lipping is OK, but you need to decide which it will be, and then focus on doing that in particular.

veery

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahhh, the dreaded 37 y.o. calibre change - been there.