3rd valve stick on yamaha

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by johnfin, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

1. johnfin

johnfin New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    So I tried cleaning the trumpet/valves, different types of oils and the 3rd valve is sticky. I read that some people have their horns "chemically" cleaned at a repair shop. Is this valid and as there anything I can try at home?

2. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Is it new, old, when did it start, how long have you had the horn. Just mentioning you have a stuck valve won't get much good feedback.

Dennis78 likes this.
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Does it stick when played by someone skilled in the art?

Valve problems are caused by dirt, damage, or distortion.

Chemical cleaning is required when there is a buildup of scale that cannot be removed by regular soap and water cleaning. If you have to ask the question, maybe you should not perform the task.

Dennis78, rowuk, flugelgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How did you clean the valves? Did you reclean the valves between the “different types of oils”? Do they stick at the top of the stroke? At the bottom? In the middle? Is there any obvious damage to the horn? Can you play or are you just trying to flip the instrument?

Dennis78 and Gendreauj like this.
  5. johnfin

johnfin New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    I am trying to play the horn. Have cleaned the trumpet with soap and water. The valve sticks near the end of travel. I didnt know if there was a spray type cleaner that pros use. New products are coming out every day.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Unfortunately we do not know your knowledge or understanding. Perhaps there is damage to the lower casing in which case cleaning is not the solution - I suggest a visit to a decent technician.

Gendreauj likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Does the valve stick if someone else plays the horn? I am not trying to be funny but as you have no idea, you need someone that does to have a look at the horn. Ivan mentioned dirt, damage and distortion, but we have one more: crappy finger technique pushing the valve down at an angle instead of reasonably straight.

As far as new products every day go, this is not so true in the conservative trumpet world. Here we have the same old problems over and over again because most simply do not have a good relationship with a much better player that could be a technician, teacher or mentor.

Solutions:
    Dirt=clean/repair
    Damage=repair
    Distortion=repair
    Bad technique=intelligent, monitored practice to repair bad habits

Chemical cleaning needs knowledge to keep the chemicals from eating away the brass or poisoning the player.