3rd valve tuning slide .....how to make it faster

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 19, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I just bought a used King Tempo cornet it is like almost mint but the third valve slide is kinda tight I used grease and valve oil too but it seems stiff ,maybe it has not been played in a while anyone ??:-?Thanks Anthony

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Check to see if each side moves okay (individually - turn the slide a bit to just insert one side at a time). You might find one side is the offender (gunk, slightest bit out of round, etc.). If both move really well by themselves individually but still are smooth together, the slide might be pinched in or out or even twisted a bit. With the exception of something beyond cleaning and lube, I would let a reputable tech conclusively diagnose and fix it.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If it is the model I think it is, the third slide was never trombone slide fast. The lyre fitted in the same holder as the third ring - you didn't want the slide to fall off on the field. Any decent tech can free it up for you.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have a local tech here who I have remove dents and repair horns. He, without fail, always checks the 3rd valve slide for alignment. It is so worth it. You might also ask what they would charge to install a stop screw or catch rod.