3rd vavle slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey guys. I'm having some minor issues with my 3rd valve slide- it comes out VERY easily. This is nice when playing a bunch of low Ds, C#, etc where pulling out helps with tuning. This can present a problem however when your left hand is unavailable (like when using a plunger). How would you recommend dealing with this? I can lip it to put it back in tune, but that changes the tone slightly and makes some stuff harder to play.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    That's a problem I've experienced, being the guy who gets the plunger features in several big bands ("Blues in Hoss' Flat," anyone?). Here are some solutions I have experience with, in order of increasing expense:

1. Hook a hair scrunchy over the third-slide ring, stretch it back and hook it over the bottom of the third valve (downside: you have a hair scrunchy on your horn).
    2. Buy some black elastic cord at a fabric store and make a perfectly sized, fairly subtle elastic loop between the braces of the third slide (downside: you look like you have Monette-envy).
    3. Buy a bent mouthpiece and concentrate on pointing the bell up when you're using the plunger (okay, adopting a bent mouthpiece had nothing to do with plunger playing, but it did help).
    4. Have a third-slide trigger installed on your trumpet (again, I didn't have this done for plunger playing, but it totally solves the problem).
    5. Buy an Olds Recording, which already has the third-slide trigger.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nieuwguyski's option 5 is a win-win situation. That is the one I would recommend.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha .... #4 isn't bad either ....

I had a technician tell me once that he thought most trumpets would benefit from more stability in this area (around the 3rd slide, tuning slide area). A trigger will definitely solve it. Triggers stay closed like nobody's business. I had a Conn Director with a 3rd slide trigger that someone installed. It looked exactly the same as the one on the Recording, and worked just as well on the Director.

Having a Recording come along with that trigger is even better, I agree.

Turtle

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 are the best. I would do any of them. But I would do them in this order:
    5, 4, 3, and last, 2.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    There is still a very good looking Recording at CentexBrass ... just saying.:dontknow:

Turtle

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    And at Horntrader....

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I had a Courtois trumpet that the slide would come off. I just took a large rubber band and looped it around the valve cluster and the third valve finger ring. It is unobtrusive (there are choices in rubber band colors) and CHEAP. The resistance was not a problem because it was minimal.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF the horn is silver, the rubber band idea is okay but be sure to not leave it on too long or it will react with the silver and turn it black and it can even eat through the silver.:-o

I'm sure there is a scientific name for this process but I will leave that to the scientist on the forum of which I am not.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I sent a 3rd slide flying across the room once (the Eastman) .... forgot to screw in the little set screw retainer. Yikes. If I had been onstage, it would have gone into the 7th row.:shock:

BTW, that Recording at the HornTrader is a real stunner. Completely redone (valves too) by Dan Oberloh. That's a great one .... looks just like mine.:-)

Turtle