3rd vavle slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sulphuric acid is used to cure all rubber. Yes especially plungers. What brother Ed says is very true. Keep all rubber out of the case.

Hope this advice doesn't rubber any of our members the wrong way or in anyway tarnish our relationship!

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've kept a rubber plunger in my case for years and have seen no effect on my silver-plated trumpet. It's not touching it, but it's in there all the same.

Maybe this comment made a splash without sending the thread down the drain...

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe your silver-plated trumpet isn't silver-plated?! If you put it on your head, do you hear alien thoughts? Ha, just as I thought, aluminum!!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I saw an aluminum trumpet once (about 35 years ago) in a junk store - man, I wish I had bought it!

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only if they are rubber, otherwise, rubber plungers are okay.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Doc beat me to the response, to which I only add that I carry my mutes in a separate mute bag. Yes, better safe than sorry. Black plungers are worse than the red ones! Don't believe? Smell them! I hate ALL mutes! I'll use them only when the music calls for them, or my Silent Brass when there is a change of disturbing someone.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Try putting a rubber band around the 3rd and 1st valve slide finger rings.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ain't sayin' it will always occur, but you've now been warned that it might. Therefor, don't blame me if it happens.

I do suppose after many washings they would emit less sulphur fumes (yeah. my plunger has gotten very dirty over the years, and I've frequently washed it).

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Does it matter what kind of rubber? With plastics, some are inert while others are reactive. I wonder if this applies in this case as well, with rubbers. Although I see the comment about the curing by sulphur bath...

10. trumpetplanet

trumpetplanet New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Would instrument repairers willingly put a 3rd-valve trigger on a trumpet? I know of brass repairers that get really annoyed if you suggest modifying instruments at all...