3rd vavle slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, Dec 5, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Be careful about anything made of rubber ... here is how my Harrelson Bravura arrived from the manufacturer

[​IMG].

The rubber rings left black stains IN the silverplate which I have needed some effort to remove - eventually importing some MAAS Metal Polish to succesfully remove the marks. And all this on a very new trumpet - I don't see it as the manufacturers error, just rubber on silver for too long a time. Bottom line - DON'T USE RUBBER PRODUCTS on your silverplated instruments.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you want to pay the bill for a trigger, no repair tech should refuse unless it is some sort of rare trumpet that modifying it would ruin the value. If that was the case I would ask to reconsider, but still do it if they insisted.

Why not just hold the trumpet up a bit more when playing plunger?

Also, if you use an elastic band, get a hair band. It won't tarnish the finish of silver instruments.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All rubber is cured with sulphur if it is truly rubber. Even the nipples used for baby bottles contain sulfur in the curing process. I have my patients do a good hard boil of their bottle nipples before the first use on their infant baby.

Then there is the condom, also referred to as a rubber that actually is NOT rubber, so DO not go boiling your condoms before use, OR I will have to be repeating the instructions above on how to boil nursing bottle nipples before giving it the first time to the new unanticipated addition to the family.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Aren't they already........?OOPs did I say that out loud?

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Love that trumpet........
    Gotta get me one of them.

tedh1951 likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are we talking upper cheeks or lower cheeks at the location of the hi-knee.

[The low-knee for point of reference is the joint that flexes and extends our legs; the hi-knee is the joint that flexes and extends our lower cheeks. - This discussion has been presented as a medical service in our TM anatomy curriculum, provided by one of your trumpet doctors here on TM. This information may vary somewhat from the standard medical texts, but then again, standard medical texts are not written by trumpet players; are they now?]

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Getting a little below the belt here. :)

codyb226 likes this.
  8. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Yikes! Nice looking horn though, I must say.
    Thanks for all the great replies guys.

9. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Preventing the 3rd valve slide from falling out with a hair tie wouldn't hurt the trumpet, would it?

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Not at all, as long as it is not rubber.