4-valve flugelhorn - yes/no?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by sachmo, Jul 26, 2008.

1. sachmo

sachmo New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    I am considering getting a blessing 155 4-valve flugelhorn, is the 4th valve more of a pain? I plan on using it to play in a jazz combo and in a jazz big band. What's the advantage of having the 4th valve? Does anyone really use it to play more in tune? Or will it just be there and never used when I play?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    It is useful if you play arrangements of classical pieces for string instruments, but for jazz...I don't think that it is really a must.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

The 4th valve may not be needed for your style of playing, but you should try both flugels - a 3 valve and 4-valve and see which sounds appropriate.

If you compare the two to your playing style, you can better make a choice that fits you!

Of course, if you get a good deal on the 4th valve fluegel, go for it. Suspect it would make a good conversation starter, too.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Sergei Nakariakov used the 4-valve flugel at ITG this year. I didn't see him use the fourth valve very much, but what I understand is that it has much the same effect as a 4-valve piccolo. I think it's for intonation. Sergei played a Haydn cello concerto transcription.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thad Jones played a 4-valve flugelhorn. No slouch, he.

6. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    From what I read, one reason Sergei Nakariakov got a four valve flugel was so he could play french horn concertos, it lowers the pitch by a fourth? making the lower register accessible.

7. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Lowers pitch by a fourth? Is that a quarter tone? I never fully understood why the picc trumpet has 4 valves and now the newish (I dunno if this is a newish trend cos I dont recall seeing 4 valve flugs before) 4 valve flugal had me and a few chums talking about this very subject last friday evening. Anybody able to throw some light on the issue?

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    No. This means a fourth=2.5 steps. Like playing in F low pitch. All trumpetlike horns with 4 valves have their 4th valve usually tuned that way, but they may be customised to play 1/4 tone, which I believe Ed Caroll has done with one of his flugels. As I said above, adding a 4th down is handy when you want to play arrangement of pieces for cello, as does often Naariakov.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a 4 valve flugel and the fourth valve does open up a whole new octave below the staff (maybe not what jock trumpet players are looking for, but it does open a lot of creative possibilities).

If you have any of Sergei's CDs, you will hear that 4th valve SMOKIN. He uses it for a lot more than horn concertos!

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Playing lower is for trombones! Give me a fourth valve that bypasses the main valve block so I can play higher!
    ;-)