5 1/2 inch bell?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by talcito, Feb 12, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    A friend of mine is having a horn put together for him, and the trumpet maker is advising to use a 5 1/2 inch bell.

In looking thru different sites, the only manufacturer I see with a bell that large is Monette. Even the Getzen Genesis bell, which looked pretty large to me is only about 5 1/4.

Have any of you had any experiences with this size bell? By the way ,the bell will be made of copper.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I think Calicchio will make up to 6 inch bells. Any bell much beyond 5 1/2 and the sound can become very diffuse. During WW II, some of the field trombones had 6 inch bells. Crazy.

The ZeuS Olympus is 5 1/4

Even the Wild Thing has only a 5" bell (but a very large throat)

Jim

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Who is making the trumpet? I have a Kanstul 1500 with a 5'' copper bell that plays really nice. I can't imagine a 5 1/2" copper bell being good for anything other than a jazz horn. Sound like it would be fun to play though.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I've got a 5 1/2 ins red brass bell on my Taylor just so the guys in the wings can hear me. :D

No really...the sound is a little more diffuse than a narrower bell but we're not talking absolutes here, just comparatives. As with most things brass the effect is at the margins. The guys at the back of the hall don't complain either so I guess the sound gets there as well. I pretty well play most styles on it..some better than others of course, but that's the player not the horn.

Regards,

Trevor