5 best books for trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by croatoa, Feb 12, 2008.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    No one has mentioned the Harbison technical studies - one of my favorites. Like Clark, only for Jazzers!

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Hey Flugelgirl,
    Good post. I, too, enjoy the Harbison. And I am looking for more of the same. Particularly I would like to find (copy?) a Berklee Chord Studies for Trumpet which is no longer in print. Anyone got a clue on this angle?

3. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I am actually working on a list of books to give to all of my students. A "Every book you should own before you die" list. I would love to hear you feedback and list more than just 5 books. Please be specific on titles and authors, and even better, what level player.

Example:
    JB Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet - Carl Fisher Pub. - All Level of player
    Wurm 40 Studies for Trumpet - International Music Co. Pub. - Intermediate/ Advanced.

This could turn into a great resource for others, lets give it some time and I will post the results on my website and on TM. Thanks for the help.

TD

misty.sj likes this.
  4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Be careful what you list last -- I know I wouldn't buy it! :-o

5. croatoa

croatoa New Friend

Feb 12, 2008
    can you please give me other info about harbison?
    ...i'd really like to expand my knowledge in the jazz world...(and what about jazz harmony books on improvisation?)
    thanx

6. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Sorry this is not a "What would you bring if you were standed on a desert island question?" Both , read the instructions over and over. Check Claude Gordon on You Tube and maybe have a lesson with one of his students Trumpet And Brass Lessons Done Over Live Video Chat By Jeff Purtle, Authority On The Claude Gordon Method Of Brass Playing

7. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Arban
    Clarke (all)
    Saint Jacome (surprised no one mentioned this yet)
    Bai Lin
    Vizzutti (all three volumes of trumpet method and New Concepts)

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    It is true that it really depends on the indiviual and how the books are used... but my personal favorites are:

Gordon
    Clarke
    Schlossberg
    Colin

And lately I have been having good succes with Casual Double High C by Bob Odneal....

Mike

10. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Clarke Tech Studies, Arbans, Irons lip flexibility, Schlossberg

I've begun working with Sachs in my lesson 2 weeks ago, the buzz studies are a huge help.