5 Must have trumpet recordings for a young player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Oct 2, 2007.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I have taken on a young middle school student and would like to recommend 5 trumpet recordings for him to purchase and listen to.

I would like to cover a wide variety of playing solo, jazz /commercial, orchestral etc.

I want to come up with some exciting recordings that will inspire him :-) Of course I have my own ideas but I would like to hear some from the forum members here.

2. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wayne Bergeron
    "You Call This A Living?"

:)

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    In no order.

1. Sidewinder: Lee Morgan. This album has some really great tunes and fantastic solos. The boogaloo feel of sidewinder makes it easy to forget you are listening to jazz, which to some is a frightening word.

2. Wynton Marsalis with the Eastman concert band. The one where he does Carnival of Venice, sometimes I Feel like a motherless child etc. This is some great playing not only from Wynton, but from the band. The first trumpet in the band is absolutely killin' behind Wynton.

3. Play him some Blood Sweat and Tears. The horn section is killer AND it will show him that a trumpet can be used in many genres. Specific songs are God Bless the Child, Spinning Wheel (the one with the trumpet solo, not the guitar edit), And When I Die and Hi De Ho.

4. Oscar Peterson Trio +1. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Clark Terry is a monster on this one. The playing can't be beat. Every tune on this album is a gem.

5. The last album is just one of those albums to make his eyes go wide. It is Duke Ellington's 70's birthday concert Live. IT features a great trumpet section and on top of them playing lead is Cat Anderson, the greatest high note player of all time. Great tracks with Cat are Satin Doll and Rockin' in Rhythm.

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    How appropriate :D

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bill Chase; Chase
    Don Ellis; Live at Filmore
    Chicago Symphony; Carmina Burana
    Last but not least, if you only bought one record, it should be:
    Maurice Andre; Trumpet of the Century (La Trompette Du Siecle)

6. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    Lead: Bill Chase - Chase/Maynard - MF Horn/Bergeron - You call this a living?
    Jazz: Miles - Kinda Blue
    Orchestral: Chicago Symphony - Pictures/Bald Mtn. (Reiner)
    Soloist: Maurice Andre - Trumpet of the Century
    Chamber: German Brass Bach album

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    in no order

1. cornet favorites schwartz
    2. either of the records that Doc made with the cincinnati pops
    3. orchestral cleveland/szell ring highlights
    4. band any with fennell
    5. maurice andre any

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks for all those great You tube links. The Maynard ones capped them off in high style and gets you blood going, Long Live the Boss!

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Wait, what?! There was more than one?! To Amazon.com we go!

I'd throw in some Timofei Dokshizer, Harry James, Al Hirt, Tijuana Brass, and Maurice Andre