5 Must have trumpet recordings for a young player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Interesting how many of the same recordings are coming up. Here's my list. Gerard Schwarz-Cornet Favorites, Maynard Ferguson-Chamelon, Herb Alpert-Lonely Bull, Wynton Marsalis-Haydn/Hummel and anything by Maurice Andre.

2. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Philly/Chicago/Cleve Gabrieli recording, so I'll throw that in. I would also agree with Oscar Peterson Trio + 1. I would also throw in the Maurice Andre album with Herbert von Karajan conducting the Hummel, Telemann, Vivaldi, Albinoni. I'll also include the CSO/Reiner recording of Pictures and an Exhibition. Lastly, I would throw Maynard Plays Jazz for Dancing.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5 recordings is a tough call. I am torn between soloists or ensemble playing. 20 recordings would have been easier.......

My picks for inspiration:
    The incredible virtuosity of Timofey Dokschitzer
    The art of the Baroque trumpet - Niklas Eklund
    Late 60's early 70's Count Basie
    MF Horn 1 with MacArthur Park
    Sounds of St. Petersburg - Stockholm Chamber Brass

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Yes!!! Instill the idea that faster/higher/louder is not always the way to go as soon as possible.

5. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    I can't believe I left out the Gabrieli album - that is a MUST.

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You know, it's getting dang near impossible to find Dokshizer albums. Amazon's all out, iTunes doesn't have any (no surprise there), can't even find 'em on eBay. You should probably buy one simply for the rarity, let alone the trumpet mastery that guy had.

7. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    There's always the set that're available free on his site, plus the CD the ITG released. Other than that though....yeah....

You could always see if the nearest college library with a music section has recordings available that the public can access. They're invaluable.

For me, its all been already stated, sorry I couldn' contribute more, except Harry James, he's up there on my list.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Fennell doing Holst on Telarc
    Schwartz' Cornet Favorites
    Incredible Trumpet Virutosity of Timofei Dokshizer
    Andre Joy Ride
    Andre playing the Teleman 12 Heroic Marches

9. youngmaynard

youngmaynard New Friend

Apr 19, 2007
    TUCSON,AZ
    Hey Everyone Forgot Maynard Ferguson Beautiful Version Of Maria And Gospel John They Should Hear That If You Want To Light A Fire In A Young Student

10. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I forgot to add Bibi Black, who plays in the Philedalphia Philharmonic, last I knew. She can be heard on a CD called Soviet Trumpet Concertos.

Good stuff. The only problem is that she likes to rush the sixteenth notes a little, but in the context, I think it makes the piece a little more exciting, also, while they're concertos, she often blends with the orchestra too much. But I'd still recommend her.