5 Must have trumpet recordings for a young player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
    Chet Baker "Lonely Star"
    Freddie Hubbard "Ready for Freddie"
    Mark Isham "Blue Sun"
    Louis Armstrong "Plays W.C.Handy"

subject to change, but not a bad start

2. annapurna

annapurna New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    Germany
    Günther Beetz: Trompeten=Konzert
    Matthias Höfs: Italian Trumpet Concertos
    Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
    Michel Camillo: One More Once (for me best lead playing ever by Jon Faddis)
    Maurice André: Any Recording

3. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    This brings back a lot of memories of the recordings that first "wowed" me when I was in junior high.

1. The Maurice André album with Karajan conducting was the first trumpet solo recording I had ever heard. I'd say it's a must for any young player.

2. Hakan Hardenberger: Virtuoso Trumpet. This CD is a good balance of some newer stuff and some classics. A good variety and phenomenal performances.

3. Gerard Schwarz: Classical Trumpet Concerto of Haydn and Hummel. These are the only recordings of the two classics that I still listen to.

4. Some of the Herseth/Phil Smith/Mike Sachs, etc. classic orchestral pieces would be good. Perhaps make your student a mix of a bunch of different orchestral players?

5. Some jazz is always good. I'm no authority, but Kind of Blue seems like a good start though.

I'd also make sure they're branching out and listening to more than just trumpet. You can learn so much more when you take in all kinds of different music from all kinds of different performers (as long as they're good).

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I don't know if I can keep it to five, but here's a few what I feel are "MUST HAVES" in the jazz / commercial players ...

Maynard Ferguson - The Mozaic Set - the old Roulette Recordings (that's already more than five) And I've always loved MF Horn 2. It's the first MF LP I owned.

Doc Severinsen - Big Bands Back In Town - on the old Command Label (really any of those old Command recordings he's on)

Harry James recordings.

Anything Conrad Gozzo or Bernie Glow or Snooky Young or John Audino played lead on.

Have him listen to Clifford Brown, Chet Baker, Lee Morgan, Dizzy Gilespie, Miles Davis, Chris Botti, Jim Manley, Howie Shear, Chuck Findley, anything Charley Davis plays lead trumpet on, Tower Of Power, anything Roger Ingram plays lead trumpet on, Bobby Shew ... yes it's an incomplete list, just some of my favorites.

All the best.