5 years later..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DLWilson, Jun 28, 2009.

1. DLWilson

DLWilson New Friend

Jun 28, 2009
    I was loaned a Bach Strad 37 and blessing 7c in exchange for playing with student band on base for 4 years. I haven't played in roughly 5 years an I'm basically restarting from scratch. The 7c seems a bit small and stuffy and I used to play a 3c. I was thinking of getting a b4 or b6 monette/kanstul to begin my relearning. The thought is tat its better to switch to something comfortable now then after my chops have began rebuilding. Thoughts?

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i would say that it doesnt really matter.., idk about monettes, however gold is fery comfy...

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well I suppose my story might relate a bit i dont know, anyways. I had been out of practice for a month and one week (still getting back in shape) cause of my wisdom teeth surgery and complecations and infections that made it too hard to play. SO im working back up and still doin the crusable etc etc all that stuff, but I play on a LOUD 1.5C and a LOUD 78M I use my 1.5 more but the 78 is sam rim width but a shallower cup, and its a v cup so thats the difference. so Im playing on the same rim width minus a very minor flatness difference in the rim.anyways I warm up on my 1.5 and switch between the two cause their so similar, sorry if this makes no sense, and im conditioning between the two the only feelable difference is the 78 is a V cup and its shallower, but I can at least work my way back up on the 78 then go back to my 1.5, my 78 is my marxching mouthpiece. so if that makes sense good, if not sorry I couldnt explain it well

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DL,
    the stuffy feel is not the mouthpiece, it is your chops not reacting to what your brain expects.

Just like a $5000 custom bike is not going to make you as a beginner, ride any better or faster, a Monette mouthpiece also cannot create any magic. That being said, even feeling better about picking up the horn can help (you practice more). In that respect, if a Monette mouthpiece makes you feel good, and cash is not the issue, go for it. There is no issue with changing a mouthpiece later once decent habits have been established though.

The Kanstuls are only copies on the outside. They do not share any of the Monette pitch center performance aspects.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    DL, I too have taken a path similar to the one you propose, in that I went from a 7C to a 3C, to a Monette B6 (ROWUK provided some good advice in this regard), size wise these MP are not very different so they may not provide the solution you seek. That said, each was a positive step - for me - the Monette has a number of other considerations too, and a wander through the Monette website might be interesting for you. I agree with the comment about gold-plating, as this too as worked for ME. I hope you have fun in your quest, it is only money after all - but you probably need to be starting from a stable 'platform' - get your ducks in a row before you commence, otherwise you're just wasting effort and dollars.

6. DLWilson

DLWilson New Friend

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks for the advice!

I'll stick with playing the 7c for a while, maybe wait till my Bday to get a new piece. Right now I'm focusing on improving articulation and endurance. I figure range will come back through proper practice. I used to pull pretty hard when playing and I'm adoption a less pressure technique. Now to find an instructor in the norfok/yorktown area....

Dustin