~$500 for used pro level King Silver Flair or Getzen 900?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mhester, Jun 13, 2005.

1. mhester

mhester New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm wanting a used pro level horn for my comebacker wife. She has a thing against Yamaha from when she played years ago so not going there. Her old horn was a Bach (not sure what model) but even used they're more than I want to spend (especially if she doesn't get back into it as much as she wants to)

I've seen lightly used King Silver Flairs and Getzen 900's in my price range $500+/-. one thing I notice is that although the 900 is considered a pro model, it has a 2-piece bell while most pro horns seem to have 1-piece bells. Not sure how much of a diff this makes (I'm a former woodwinder and am now just learning about brass in my quest for her next trumpet)

Any thoughts?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In my opinion...

Go with the Silver Flair ONLY if it is a pre UMI horn.

You can tell by the lack of knurling on the valve caps, No third slide stop, only one tuning slide brace and sculpted valve case.

DO NOT BUY A RECENT KING SILVER FLAIR!!!! THEY ARE JUNK!!!!!

I have owned 6 of them.

-cw-

3. mhester

mhester New Friend

Jun 13, 2005

Is that 6 post UMI or 6 post UMI?

4. mhester

mhester New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    TYPO Is that 6 post UMI or 6 PRE UMI?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry,

I have owned 6 pre UMI Flairs.

-cw-

6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have owned two PRE-UMI King Silver Flairs.; one I have now, and one years ago.

My present Silver Flair has a serial number that places its date of manufacture as either late 1969 or early 1970. The first Flair I owned was purchased new in early 1966.

King Silver Flairs made during this time period are excellent horns. They have a .462 bore, are rather lightweight, and have a powerful, bright, big sound.

About 1980, King discontinued the old line of horns - the original Silver Flair, Super 20, etc, and introduced the "6000" series models. The horn made since 1985 by the former United Musical Instruments company (UMI bought out the former King Musical Instruments about 1985, I think - UMI no longer exists - all these horns are now produced by Conn-Selmer who bought out UMI) and called a "Silver Flair" is not the same horn as the old Flair that I mention above. The current horn so marketed is more of an "intermediate" horn. IMO, it is an example of trying to capitalize on a former name reputation, but not with the same product as the original. In all fairness, adjusting for inflation, the retail price of the original King Silver Flair would be much greater today than the current retail price of the present horn carrying the same name. Just not the same product.

If I had to choose between a Getzen and a more recently made Silver Flair - shall we say either during UMI or post UMI? - I think I'd go with the Getzen first.

I have a fondness for the old Silver Flair. I think they are an outstanding horn. If you can find one in excellent condition, I would prefer that over a Getzen. However, it will all depend on personal preference.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There was also a question in the original post about 2 piece vs 1 piece bells. TRY THEM OUT.... you can't tell until you play them how they will sound. I used to think that 1 piece bells were the cat's meow too.... now I know that you just can't make that statement. You aren't playing a bell... you are playing a complete SYSTEM with an incredible number of variables, each of which contributes to the overall sound, feel, response, etc.

Sure wish I could get my wife to try trumpet: she's happy with her penny whistles!

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, I also used to think that any horn with a one piece bell was going to be better than a two piece bell.

But, there has been a lot of recent discussion which indicates that this may not be 100% accurate. It is my understanding that there are some very fine trumpets today that have a two piece bell.

So, I think it is not clear. But, I am still influenced by the older line of thinking, and if I were looking in your price range, I'd probably prefer a one piece bell...