$500 Vintage Cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    No story time right now, but I must know: What is the best vintage cornet (reconditioned, mostly original parts) someone can get for around $500?

Van

2. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    While on the subject of spending money on a vintage horn: How much would it cost to get leaky valves on an older cornet fixed?

Van

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm...as far as vintage cornets go, I've always been partial to the Olds horns (big surprise, huh?). I know you can usually get Ambassadors pretty cheap, and I've seen a few Specials and Studios go for relatively cheap in decent condition (original). Now, if you're looking to drop the bigger bucks you could find yourself a Recording or Super Recording one as well.

Also, Reynolds' Medalist (I think, but you'd have to ask Mr. Turner on that one) is supposed to be quite good. A few of the ANCIENT H.N. White (early Kings) cornets are just GORGEOUS instruments, and usually go for around 500. Couldn't tell you how well they played, but I'm sure they probably do pretty well.

I highly doubt it's possible, but if you find a Boston 3Star cornet, those are sometimes considered the best cornets ever made.

As far as the leaky valves.... :dontknow:

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    One thing about cornets, especially on eBay, they go for cheap. I am always surprised at how inexpensive cornets are -- you cannot use them in "band" anymore so they are really cheap. My guess is for $500 you could get a pretty decent one.

Jim

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You could pick up a pretty darn nice Eterna 800 (circa 1968-78) for about $500. Those things play fantastic, have the great Getzen valves, and really match up well with Sparx m/p. You do have to watch for them though... they aren't terribly common (a testament to their popularity...owners don't usually get rid of them).

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Just noticed a new posting on eBay of an Olds Opera cornet with a Buy-it-Now price of $475!!!!

Excellent horn at a fantastic price. If I didn't already have one I'd jump at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3771519242&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

p.s. the turkey is starting to smell really nicely now, only 5 more hours for it to cook! :thumbsup: :bravo:

pps just as I posted this they started "The Trumpet Shall Sound" on the Messiah I'm watching, great timing!

7. heavyharmonies

heavyharmonies New Friend

Apr 11, 2004
    Gone, baybee! As soon as I saw that auction while browsing Ebay, I pounced!

From what I've found online, the large bore Opera cornets are rather few and far between.

Merry Christmas to me! ;)

-Dan

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    :thumbsup: I have to admit, I thought about it. Way to go Dan!

Jim

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Heres what I have looked at so far:

A 1908 Besson Soliste (Robb Stewart's Website, 375, will require 150 at least to fix leaky valves, not counting chem clean, dent work).

A 1958-9 King Master (Ebay, Best bet in my book, Reserve not met).

A 1952 Olds Special (Ebay, Aren't the specials considered just a step above the Ambassadors? Reserve not met)

I haven't seen any Eterna cornets out there yet (I did find an Eb at Robb Stewart's site).

Crap, timing has never been my thing, lol.

ANYWAY,

Are there any older Conn cornets anyone would recommend?

Van

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN